Telephone sockets? id please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
could anyone tell me what these 'telephony' sockets are please? and more importantly if i can test they are doing anything/live ?
Bt1.JPG
BT2.png
bt3.png
bt4.png

1st image is master socket
2nd image shows the socket cover to the right of that - i dont believe that the wires in side (4th Image)are connected from the 1st socket but one of them does loop out to the 3rd image socket - just trying to figure out if i can remove them - the sockets

thank you all

Sponsored Links
You can test them with a multimeter set to measure DC volts across pins 2 and 5, or, just plug a phone in!

I can't enlarge your bottom three pictures, the one in the middle looks a lot more like a network socket, push up the little dust cover flap and look inside to see if it's an RJ45 socket or a BT phone socket.

These should be better....for some reason they look huge on my pc...so i went with the smaller upload

so on this one pic one is the socket next to the master socket
IMG_2253.JPG

pic two
IMG_2255.JPG

is the wiring inside that second yellowed old socket) te wire that runs out the bottom of that socket runs along the skirting up into this next picture (pic 4)
IMG_2254.JPG

Last large photo is of a network (LAN) socket, it will have 8 pins. Earlier large photos are telephone and will have 6 pins.

Sponsored Links
I'm very surprised there isn't two little wires sneaking into the master box through this little knockout...

Untitled.jpg

I would guess at one point the previous owner had two lines, maybe a fax or from dial-up internet days.

What's inside the master and what's happening outside directly behind it?

You can probably do away with everything but the master, if that's what you want, but it would be nice to move the master into the recessed back box and not have it stick out so much.

Last large photo is of a network (LAN) socket,

In euro modules you can get shuttered masters/slaves also, so that's not certain, I even have a few shuttered TV aerial euro modules at home.

BT cable runs up and round the house and directly through the wall and into the master...i will take it to bits and get a photo - originally when we moved in the master still had a business broadband cover on it - we think this was used as an office originally as part of their business.
Yep looking to decorate and tidy up in there, but dont want to disconnect the boxes if the white cables do something... would that be what the tow little wires that aren't there were for, LAN?

appreciate your help!! (y)

Sounds like that slave next to the master may already be dead then, the way the two white cables come up together into the box suggests that there was an original master somewhere else in the house at one point and that the master that is there now has had the cable re-routed outside directly to it, thus cutting off any original wiring in the house. You must be missing another slave elsewhere in the house also, for there to be three white cables all coming into that same box.

With there being no "two little wires" joining the current master with the slave right next to it, they can't be on the same line.

Just plug a phone into them, if you get a tone, dial 17070 and it reads back the number you are calling from.

IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG

So as was suggested before i opened up the master socket. Rsgaz.....one pair of the green and black wire were cut short inside the master socket (could they once upon a time of run in through the knockout???) the other pair were terminated into the front of the removable bit where my filter currently connects into. is that all the Telephone and broadband wires are??
what did the two little wires you suggested do rsgaz???(the knockout ones)
The yellowed box i've plugged a phone into and the phone says check line so obviously no phone connection..
I don't think there is enough cable to swing round to use the recessed box for the master - i think i will just blank off, remove and disconnect the wire that runs to the Lan Socket and remove the Lan socket - two wires in that socket connected to 5 & 6 in the socket facia plate......can i test these in anyway?

I am assuming that those sockets are the terminal points not the starting points ie that the Lan socket doesnt distribute from there

thanks again

just seen your earlier reply.....can you have a look at the photos anyway, please..im sure the original master was probably downstairs on the front of the house maybe kitchen or in the hall way

(could they once upon a time of run in through the knockout???)
No, the knockout has never been knocked out.
the other pair were terminated into the front of the removable bit where my filter currently connects into.
Ahh, that's not correct, does the phone work in that master now, exactly as pictured, with the lower half missing?
what did the two little wires you suggested do rsgaz???
Before you opened up more sockets, I was assuming the main incoming line EITHER came into the master socket, then the two wires would feed out and connect up all the extensions OR The main line came into the slave box, but had been diverted to feed that master instead.
The yellowed box i've plugged a phone into and the phone says check line
Did the master work before you took the lower half off?
can i test these in anyway?
No, if that slave next to the master is dead, then so is that RJ45 socket, and you would need a PBX adapter lead to test it anyway.
I am assuming that those sockets are the terminal points not the starting points ie that the Lan socket doesnt distribute from there
The master is a terminal point, the LAN socket is a terminal point, but the yellow slave is a midway point on the original installation when the master was somewhere else, the cables just daisy chain through any extensions.

Ahh, that's not correct, does the phone work in that master now, exactly as pictured, with the lower half missing?
The master has always worked so i think yes that it will do - will test that later

Interestingly i've now been round every other phone point in the house and none of them work - I also found this in the front bedroom
IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG

None of this is a real problem (as long as we have power)as the phones we use are a base station and additinal handset connected to the master socket along with the broadband router .

Going back to the (new)master in the rear office - what two wires would you expect to be running out of that into the yellowed slave...
Conceiveably i could then run something out of that master into the slave that would make the rest of the telephone points live again?

thanks again

I also found this in the front bedroom

Could well be the original master, if it's an outside wall, can you see a hole drilled through on the outside, where the black BT cable would have entered originally?

what two wires would you expect to be running out of that into the yellowed slave.
Just two very thin wires, just like all the other wires that you've seen. When an engineer needs some, they just grab an offcut of CW1308 cable(same as the white cables you have), strip a bit off the end and use one of the pairs, usually the blue pair.

that would make the rest of the telephone points live again?

Assuming everything I've assumed so far is correct, then yes, BUT, having lots of extensions could be bad for your broadband speed, especially as you'll be tee-ing into the middle of the original daisy chain, so ,if you already have cordless phones and are happy with the phone base-station and your broadband router being where the newer master is now, just stick with that. You're opening a can of worms otherwise!

Before finishing the decorating, you'd be better off running a few cat5e cables round the house all from the newer master position, for future use/Sky Box/PlayStation/wifi extender/etc.

Could well be the original master, if it's an outside wall, can you see a hole drilled through on the outside, where the black BT cable would have entered originally?
Yep....The original black cable ends behind the grey service capping, from that all the little wires are connected together and run into a brown cable that runs up the wall and round and to the master socket....
what i couldnt confirm is that there is a white cable that runs in to the garage (from the hole where the black cable ends) and up towards that position of the original master socket...ill re check tomorrow to see if any of the connected wires run through the wall, but there was some resistance when pulling that white cable.

Last edited:
Before finishing the decorating, you'd be better off running a few cat5e cables round the house all from the newer master position, for future use/Sky Box/PlayStation/wifi extender/etc.
Thanks for all the help..
Presume you mean channelling out and stuff....Dont think its going to happen lol!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back