telephone sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not too sure if dis is de place..

attached is a jpeg of my existing telephone wiring ...just one phone
i am going to put another socket near my PC
there is an unused socket which was de wired by the previous owner...??
dont know why.
all the wiring is there and unconnected
this is the one i would like to use for the PC as i can take the surface socket which is used at present and reuse at the PC
the unused de wired socket is next to the surface mounted one but is flush mounted and neater and is fitted about 30cm up the wall right in line with a telephone shelf in the hallway...it must have been the previous owners main connection..as i say its disconnected and i cant reckon why except the cable terminating near the kitchen door..under the carpet has been unceremoniously cut..so there was something in the kitchen which was taken away....
grateful for any advice and if this is the wrong section perhaps the mod could let me know...and or move it
regards
mrcrow

Sponsored Links
i dont know but just a thought

it not a different supplier bt or cable ect

and cant see a j peg :?:

big all

big-all said:
i dont know but just a thought
it not a different supplier bt or cable ect
and cant see a j peg :?:
big all

smack.gif

its definately BT...they are coming to fix a fault on monday morning.

and here's the jpeg...i forgot to load it up on my photosite....some of these board forums allow you to upload from your files...cant see that here but may have missed it.

telephones.gif

speak soon big all

mrcrow

thumbsup.gif

Use connecters 2 and 5.

2 = A
5 = B

3 = Ringing wire (dont worry about this in your case)

1,4,6 dont do anything in your case.

Or did you already know that?

Im a little confused. :oops:

Sponsored Links
you should not touch anything before the main 2 part bt socket (NTE5)

this has a seperate lower part to which you should connect your extention wiring connecting at least pins 2 3 and 5 to your extention sockets

generally you should not use master sockets (ones with electronic components on the back) as extention sockets

Plug is right - only take your extension wiring from the outgoing terminals of the linebox (two part socket).

Got a bit lost with your diagram, but try and keep as few joints as possible in the system. If poss, run an unbroken cable from A to B.

Wiring should be A - A, B - B, but sometimes it is reversed - I often find my telecom socket tester signalling reversed connections and it doesn't seem to cause any problems, but apparently some equipment can malfunction on a reversed line.

s far as term 3 is concerned, if you already have another phone connected to your line, you need to connect term 3 or the phone you plug into that outlet will not receive a ringing signal.

You can use master sockets elsewhere (BT do it ATT). If you have a problem with a cable and only have two healthy available cores, you can fit a master and still get a ringing at that outlet without T3.

thanks gentlemen
despite my diagram..you have cracked this...
i will do a wire from the double BT sockets which have A and B on the back...with components inside i gather and do a
T2 and T5 to the bedroom socket...which will be a plain one with no bits on the back...
and a T3 bell wire...
this is how i have condensed all this info from you...
i realise now that the spare socket i showed just wouldnt have worked since it has no electrical components in it to act as a first or main socket...
drawing the diagram was just an as built diagram...i dont know much about how phones are connected...
ps
BT fixed my fault...the first junction box inside the house had corroded electric components...!!
so i am glad i got that out of the way...if i had of put the extension in the bedroom correctly and the phones then didnt work because of the corrosion i would have spent ages figuring out what i did 'wrong'
many thanks again
all the best
mrcrow

done it
all very neat and no trailing wires...except to the pc and phone...
thanks again
my 56k modem is connecting at 41.2 but it did this from when i moved in here anyway
at my last house it ran about 51 but that was all new BT wiring in a new housing estate.
thanks again
mrcrow

On the subject of phone wiring, I reversed A & B on an extension box because a Panasonic phone/ fax continually rang if plugged in (I read that some phones are polarity sensitive). The phone/fax now works except that it never rings! If a phone on another extension rings, you can pick it up on the phone/fax. The phone/fax connecting lead only has 2 connections, so it is not connected to the ring wire. Incidently, no problem if any other phone is plugged into the extension.
Any suggestions?

Re-reading securespark's earlier post:
"s far as term 3 is concerned, if you already have another phone connected to your line, you need to connect term 3 or the phone you plug into that outlet will not receive a ringing signal."

Does this imply that I should try another connecting lead with the fax/phone that has all the plug contacts active (present one only has 2 contacts in the plug) to cure the no-ring problem?
cheers
Darwin

cheers sasolshares...
i did rewire the BT socket so that the A went to A and B to B as suggested by earlier posters...
and put in a third wire for bell...
hope you get some help on your post...
since it is on the back of mine which is not too stimulating you may get a response by taking out a new topic
best of luck anyway...

ps..i have been trying to get the pc and phone to connect using a lead from the pc with a entry point for a 'phone' socket but wouldn't work...
it has a little printed circuit board inside and i have assumed that this lead is for 2 pc's and reverted back to my 2 entry adaptor on the extension socket...

:idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back