Temporary decoration of floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We moved to our house a few months ago. It's liveable but in need of full redecoration. Typical semi detached 1920-1930.

We have fully refubished the first floor already, including bathroom, landing, bedrooms, floors, plaster, wiring, plumbing etc. We decided to split the renovation in two (first floor / downstairs) to spread the cost a bit and to be able to live in the house.

Downstairs may need to wait for at least next summer -- it involves much more work with the kitchen, possible extension, knocking a wall to make open plan etc. So for at least a year we have to cope with it. As said it's not too bad but it would be good to give it a temporary, cheap, coat in some areas.

What I'm thinking now are the floor boards in the living room and dining room. We removed the carpet and the boards are ok condition but in both rooms there is a big square which is unfinished -- thinking there was some kind of rug there in old days.

Is there a cheap simple way to make things a bit nicer? I would like to apply some coat or varnish or whatever to the whole floor. The idea is not so much to change the looks -- my most important requirement is that I want things to be easy to clean. I also don't want to spend ages sanding etc given we will install new floors in a year. So really anything that makes thing nicer without much work.

If I give it a good clean, can I apply some sort of coat without sanding?

Any other suggestions are appreciated, or if there's nothing that can be done then we will just leave with it..

Sponsored Links
To stain and varnish it would require a lot of sanding and cleaning and messing about to make it look reasonable as no doubt it's covered in years of paint splashes and that.

What about giving it a quick but decent sand just to give a good key, and paint with a normal solid colour paint, black or dark brown for example?

Dedekind,
How about a layer of Osmo, I would suggest type 3032?
It is a sort of clear wax/oil based material.
Easy to apply (apply thinly with bush or cloth).
Relatively cheap.
Will seal the wood.
Is matt.
Will make cleaning easier.
And easy to reapply if surface is damaged/scratched.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=osmo+3032&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
>>> I repeat, apply in thin layers, wipe off any excess <<<
SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dedekind,
How about a layer of Osmo, I would suggest type 3032?
It is a sort of clear wax/oil based material.
Easy to apply (apply thinly with bush or cloth).
Relatively cheap.
Will seal the wood.
Is matt.
Will make cleaning easier.
And easy to reapply if surface is damaged/scratched.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=osmo+3032&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
>>> I repeat, apply in thin layers, wipe off any excess <<<
SFK

That looks interesting, I might give it a go! Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back