temporary horizontal flue

M

munchingB

i have my boiler flue facing into a lean to that im building and wondering if it would be ok to run a flue horizontally or up to 35 degrees for a couple of metres as a temporary measure until i get to move the whole boiler on a different external facing wall?

really need to get a roof boards and wall sheathing up between gaps in the rain but dont want to fill the space with exhaust from the boiler.

is this a feasible safe option?

its a worcester 12/14 if that makes any difference

cheers

Sponsored Links
Short answer. STOP. NO!

Longer answer, the flue is an absolutely crucial safety feature of the Boiler, only (in this case) Worcester badged flue components can be used in strict accordance with the installation instructions for both boiler and flue.

Seriously, damage may be caused to the boiler, and you could place both yours, family and neighbours safety at risk if you alter the flue arrangements. I believe your boiler is Oil fired ( and I am only Domestic Natural Gas qualified, but similar principles of combustion apply).

I can only suggest that you engage an OFTEC registered engineer to advise you on the safest route for all concerned.

DH

In short, no. You will need to get the boiler isolated from the gas supply until it is moved into a suitable location. Don't try to modify the flue yourself and certainly don't try and raise the flue to a 35 degree angle! The flues on these boilers are designed to point slightly downwards for a reason!

see thats why i come to this website!

i have had a couple of quotes to move my boiler roughly 4 metres but am hoping to find someone cheaper. £1300 and £1200 so far..

was really hoping to get roof boards and sheathing the walls tomorrow-so do you think if i leave some of the walls off 2m2 here and there that the gases wont accumulate over the next couple of weeks?

dont worry i wont be trying to funnels the gases out through a chimney liner in the mean time.

cheers for the info

yes it is an oil boiler

Sponsored Links
Oil boilers come into a completely different ball park.

Most can be converted into conventional flue.

If this helps you temporary.

at the moment the boiler is floor standing and the flue goes through the wall horizontally into my lean to that im building. ive got to the stage where i need to get the roof on so i was wanting to direct the exhaust along the wall it comes from and send them out past the lean to..

are you saying that this is possible with oil boilers?

The Danesmoor 12/14 was sold as 2 models offering 3 fluing arrangements.

The CF - suitable for lined chimney/fabricated vertical flue or low level flue (LLD) using Worcester's LLD kit.

The RS - with built-in air duct system for use with balance flue kit (short or long versions) only.

The RS can't be converted to CF and vice versa, although LLD use of the CF model could be turned into a vertical conventional flue.

These are the only options possible, anything else is a dangerous bodge. There is no such thing as a 'temporary flue' only permanent. The only alternative is some heaters and the immersion for HW until you're sorted.

Why didn't you move the boiler sooner? As this would of been a more sensible option ?

because he has already had a couple of quotes but is waiting to find someone cheaper ;)

because as we all know when it comes to the safety of fuel appliances in the home and their safe installation so as to ensure our family are safe the cheaper it can be done for the better.

dean you think that getting quotes is bad for my familys health?

do you think that if i find a lower price than the 2 ive been quoted will mean that the standard of work will be shoddy and i will be left with a dangerous appliance? are you confusing the word value with shoddy?

vallue does not equal shoddy mate. do you overcharge people then and they will think that you must be offering a better service?

i have had work carried out previously by both the companies that i got quotes from. one, i knew one to be expensive and the other was very good value for money and i was shocked at the low price i had to pay...company vans, uniforms, certifications and all manner of overheads...AND a very good price!

cheap(er) does not mean shoddy.

do you think if i drink a cup of tea with my left hand that i will offend your god?...or just endanger my family...and remotely place neighbours...how selfish am i trying to save money!?

i wish i had had it done already but havnt had much time and these companies havnt been very diligent when it comes to coming around to assess the situation and then having to bully a quote out of them..seems like its not a very attractive job for them to be doing?

must be busy

a temporary flue is a permanent flue that i connect and then disconnect when i no longer need it...would be for a very short time-making it a temporary flue.

still unsure if it doable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back