Temporary Van Insurance...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again all,

I've got a new van arriving on Friday and I've switched my insurance cover accordingly.

My old van will then be sat outside the house until it sells. I'm guessing about a month until I shift her, maybe less maybe more.

My insurer can offer dual cover for a maximum of 2 weeks for £100. I've had a look around and other insurers who do temporary cover want about £30 a day!

Before I go and ask my dear old nan who lives 20 miles away if I can leave it on her drive, does anyone know any insurers who don't charge silly money for what is a £5k van that won't be driven anywhere, on a safe street?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
ive never had any success with cheap short term cover when looking, buy dear old nan a nice big box of choccies for christmas and park it up!

No tax means no legal test drive, I'm afraid - and I'm pretty sure that a third parties insurance isn't valid if the vehicle has no tax, either.
Keep it taxed, at your Nans, and shift it from there or take out another policy on it, and redeem that one as soon as you can. No cheap way, I think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I agree with John, these new laws make it a pain to be able to sell a vehicle. I am at present insured with Swiftcover and they have a very good online arrangement, you can swap your insurance or add another car in minutes and print out a certificate, I have used this several time as at present I have two C5 estates one insured and one not, I can insure the them both for about an extra £16.00 for two days whereas they want about £25.00 to change the insurance over.

Peter

I agree with John, these new laws make it a pain to be able to sell a vehicle. I am at present insured with Swiftcover and they have a very good online arrangement, you can swap your insurance or add another car in minutes and print out a certificate, I have used this several time as at present I have two C5 estates one insured and one not, I can insure the them both for about an extra £16.00 for two days whereas they want about £25.00 to change the insurance over.

Peter
Churchill used to do this but I was under the impression it was stopped because of the new legislation about vehicles having to be on the insurance bureau register so that the police are always able to check if a vehicle is insured or not. Do you know if Swift cover put it on to the register immediately? Apparently the police will not necessarily accept an insurance certificate as proof as it may be forged. Having 3 vehicles but only using 2 of them occasionally this would be great for me.

The answer is I don't really know but you can check as I have just in the last few minutes changed the insurance to the other car as the 1st one is off the road at present, I have a certificate printed out which gives the time as 12.48, if you want to check when it appears on the register the reg is FM51 FHG.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back