Ten Amp Fuse in a Telly Plug (aka plugtop)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looked (long story) and my fairly modern wafer thin Samsung telly has a 10A fuse in the plug. Seems a bit big to me, given that will carry 2000W + before popping.

CG

Sponsored Links
Just looked (long story) and my fairly modern wafer thin Samsung telly has a 10A fuse in the plug. Seems a bit big to me, given that will carry 2000W + before popping.
It doesn't really matter. There will (hopefully) be a fuse (or fuses) inside the telly (probably a lot less than 10A) to protect the telly as much as any fuse could, so the fuse in the plug is only protecting the bit of cable between the plug and the TV.

[ and, just for the record, it would take a lot more than "2000W" (about 9A) to blow a 10A fuse - probably double that ]

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Umm, I've just checked mine, I have 5 amp fuse. Maybe you're right.. you could always change it i suppose? But then again, there's probably other safety features within the Tv itself..

Mine is a not quite so modern two wafer thick Samsung.

It only has a 16A circuit breaker (RCBO) in the consumer unit.

Stick in a 3amp if you're worried, and if it blows (which it shoudn't) put in a 5amp. If you check the rating at the back, it'll very likely say about 185 watts.

It is not a plugtop, you were right the first time. It is a plug.

I assume the manufacturers put in the 10 amp fuse, most probably for a reason. As EFLImp pointed out in Portugal (and almost everywhere else) the protection is in the consumer unit at 16 amps. If you put in a 3 amp it will likely blow due to switch on surge, as could a 5 amp.

If you put in a 3 amp it will likely blow due to switch on surge, as could a 5 amp.
Who knows, but I very seriously doubt that. It will have a SMPSU, not things known for massive "switch-on surges", and the running current is probably no more than 1A.

For what it's worth, my 42" telly has a 3A fuse, and that hasn't blown in several years of service. Frankly, I doubt that even a 1A fuse would blow, although that might be a bit more marginal.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all. That fuse has been minding its own business for about 3 years, so there's no reason to suppose it won't keep doing the same!

Thanks all. That fuse has been minding its own business for about 3 years, so there's no reason to suppose it won't keep doing the same!

Not wishing to do a Winston (and no offense meant either) but it's the TV that's been fine, and the fuse hasn't been tested. So it begs the question, as to the interaction between a faulty item on a circuit, and anything else as well. We don't know what the protection at the CU is, and if there was a surge not stopped by a fuse in the plug, would any other equipment plugged in on the same circuit get affected if the CU fuse didn't kick in quick enough.

... it's the TV that's been fine, and the fuse hasn't been tested.
Very true - but, as I said, it doesn't really matter what fuse is in the plug, provided that it is adequate to protect the cable. As has been said, in virtually all countries (other than the UK) in which the TV might be used, there will be no 'fuse in the plug' at all.
We don't know what the protection at the CU is, and if there was a surge not stopped by a fuse in the plug, would any other equipment plugged in on the same circuit get affected if the CU fuse didn't kick in quick enough.
I don't really understand what you are talking about - what sort of 'surge' did you have in mind, and how do you think that a fuse would offer protection against its effects?

Kind Regards, John

if there was a surge not stopped by a fuse in the plug, would any other equipment plugged in on the same circuit get affected if the CU fuse didn't kick in quick enough.
I don't really understand what you are talking about - what sort of 'surge' did you have in mind, and how do you think that a fuse would offer protection against its effects?​
And where would this 'surge' originate, and what would be the cause?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back