Terminal block on electric cooker went bang & wiring mel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice. I gave my old stove cooker (around 5 yrs old) to sister in law. Wired up and working for around 3 weeks. Last week, at the terminal block the wires melted, went black and made a banging noise. When I looked at it tonight, the wiring is very black and block melted.

Can I just get a new terminal block and cable leading from wall to cooker or could there be something worse going on inside the cooker?

For info, the cooker has been stored in shed over the winter.

Thanks for any advice.

Fluff

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the wiring terminations were not made properly (probably loose). This will lead to the wiring getting hot, melting and then shorting out. You are lucky it didnt catch fire.

You dont say if its the cooker connection block (on the wall) - its called a CCU or the termination block in the cooker that is melted, but you can get replacement CCU from your local shed. Cooker term block from a parts supplier like Partmaster.

It also is possible that the cable you used is too small for the job.

If its your work that caused the wiring to overheat I'd strongly suggest you get a competent spark to sort it for you ;)

Hello mate,

Possibly that the cable running to the cooker are too small. Do you know whether they are 4mm or 6mm or did you connect it to a plug top or a spur? maybe you do need a spark to have a quick look. What is the rating of the cooker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back