terminating a telephone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing telephone point which i need to remove. However attached to it is one of the old fashioned dial up telephones. I do not need the point anymore and it is not the main intake point for the house. Can it just be terminated and if so whats the best method to use?

Thermo

Sponsored Links
cut it off at the place that feeds it.

failing that put a block terminal / phone socket on it you may want it a later date

i did consider that option, but its a bit of a nightmare to trace sods law strikes again. Can it be terminated at the phone end in a similar way? Dont care how its done really as long as it doesnt cause a problem to the existing phone system

Sponsored Links
I would guess that you're referring to one of the old 52A hardwired terminal blocks, like this:

GPO_52A.jpg

If the rest of the house has been converted to the new modular jacks, it's rather unusual that you still have a phone hardwired to a 52A.

There were several wiring configurations used in the past, but if this is the only hardwired phone in the house and everything else is wired on the new jacks, chances are you can just disconnect at the block and all will be well.

You may want to check all other outlets for dialtone and proper ringing after disconnection to be sure. (Call your own number from a cellphone, or use ringback -- Using a TouchTone phone dial 17070 then choose option 1).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back