Terminating unused exterior cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend who has an armoured cable (buried) out to a container (you know the big metal boxes for transport) from his garage.
The container is gone and he wants to safetly terminate the cable - he may get the container back in the not too distant future.
What would you suggest?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gland the cable into a weatherproof box attached to something solid, with the conductors in terminal strip/choc-block (many boxes come with something inside already).

And leave it isolated.

It's an armoured cable - as long as the now-unused end is properly sealed up, the conductors kept apart etc, I think the risks of trying to remove the source end from a CU far outweigh any risks (what are they, BTW?) of leaving a labelled breaker off.

Sponsored Links
I would rather not leave a redundant cable fully energised laying around in perpetuity. But maybe I'm more cautious than you..

I would rather not leave a redundant cable fully energised laying around in perpetuity.
I didn't suggest leaving it "lying around":
Gland the cable into a weatherproof box attached to something solid
It would no more be "lying around" than it was when it was supplying the container.

Nor did I suggest leaving it energised:
And leave it isolated.

But maybe I'm more cautious than you..
Well, if it's caution you want, then rather that start removing cables from a CU, which may need to be put back in the not too distant future, then instead of terminating it in one of these:

WK308B.JPG

what about using one of these

MK56481.JPG

or these:

MK56231.JPG

?

If the container is likely to be coming and going then i'd consider having a CEEFORM socket on a post and plugging the container into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back