Test equipment

Why would you get a test lamp calibrated?
I think he's talking about a 'voltage indicator', not just a test lamp (i.e. one with LEDs or whatever to indicate the approx level of voltage). Although 'calibration' is, I agree, a somewhat OTT concept for such a thing, I suppose they can check to confirm that the voltage indications are roughly correct!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
martindale volt lamps, and a proving unit.
VIPD.jpg

I just got a call from a supplier about their calibration day.

MFT is £60 unlike their usual £75 (+ VAT of course)

I think their singles are about £30

Sponsored Links
Why would you get a test lamp calibrated?
I think he's talking about a 'voltage indicator', not just a test lamp (i.e. one with LEDs or whatever to indicate the approx level of voltage). Although 'calibration' is, I agree, a somewhat OTT concept for such a thing, I suppose they can check to confirm that the voltage indications are roughly correct!

Kind Regards, John.

Yes voltage indicator. For the price forty cigs I get third party confirmation that my equipment is tip top condition which is always good.

Yes voltage indicator. For the price forty cigs I get third party confirmation that my equipment is tip top condition which is always good.
Well, I suppose that such reassurance it always nice to have, but I'm not sure that I would personally bother with a voltage indicator - which should be 'proved' in some way every time it's used, anyway.

Kind Regards, John.

Yes reassurance is nice. On paper priceless. But I'm with you it's ott. But the cost (spead over the year) negligible.

Yes reassurance is nice. On paper priceless. But I'm with you it's ott. But the cost (spead over the year) negligible.
... but where do you stop in this quest for reassurance? Do you have your insulated tools regularly checked (potentially far more of a hazard than a 'miscalibrated' voltage indicator, I would have thought), and your crimping tools, and ....?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back