testing methods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all

i would like to know how i can conduct some basic tests and also what equipment i will need

I will order for clarity

Polarity
Earth Fault Loop Impedance
prospective short circuit current
insulation resistance

Also how can i test the cut out time of an rcd

thank you very much

Sponsored Links
A voltage indicating device and a continuity tester.

Or an all-in-one multifunction installation tester.

Earth Fault Loop Impedance
A loop tester.

prospective short circuit current
Some loop testers will do this, if not then use Ohm's Law.

insulation resistance
An insulation resistance tester. Sometimes referred to as a "Megger", in the same way that people say "biro", "sellotape", "thermos", "jacuzzi", "roller blades" etc...

Also how can i test the cut out time of an rcd
With an RCD tester.

Or if you want to provoke an amusing debate, some resistors and an oscilloscope.... :D

Click.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
would u say they are easy enough to learn how to use or is it something that u need to be shown how to?
They're easy enough to learn to use, as in operate. Whether you can teach yourself the how, why & when of using them, and the concepts that underpin the how, why & when I can't say.

Also what do you think of the fluke 1651
Can't comment in detail, have only used one a couple of times, and haven't used the rival Megger MFT. Both have their fans. I liked the remote button built into the Fluke probe, but FAIK the Megger has the same.

Sponsored Links
The megger MFT1552 does have a remote probe, mines still in the packet, think I used one once and thought it a bit clumsy.
They are pretty good instruments, like any others they heve their pros and cons, for example it doesn't do 2 wire no trip efli tests.
What is your current knowledge on the subject, i.e. have you had any sort of training in the use of these before? Same as with a lot of tools, if you don't use them right they can bite you.

Thanks for the replies

think im gna go for a fluke 1653, seen one for a nice price.

Never used a multifunction tester before, but im usually quick to learn with tools however as you said they can bite, so will probably get a mate to show me a trick or two, but apart from that will just read and test

any comments on the 1653?

cheers

MFTs are pretty easy, well the MFT1552 is. I know it looks complicated on some of the pics, on the side where the plugs attach is a couple of shutter mechanisms so you can't connect too many leads at the same time. Either connect in the mains lead or the probe set, set what you want the tester to do and go ahead. Personal preference is Megger btw!!

cheers for all the comments guys

I think im def gna go with the fluke 1653 cos of the price im getting it at however i just wanted to know what the deal is with calibration. Im getting a brand new one and im not too sure about it.

Im assuming it will come with instructions but i read on another site that theyre offering free calibration certificates...what would u need a certificate for?

Have I just had a bad day or should I not be worried that someone is buying a meter without knowing the first thing about testing or why you need calibration.

If you want an idiot proof meter go for the Megger 1552 - plenty of problems here and elsewhere about the quality of leads with Fluke and issues with their reliability.

ok i think sometimes i write thing without actually saying everything that i think or know. I assumed that everything would be precalibrated at the factory, i understand that devices need to be calibrated however as i know my limits and have never calibrated a meter before i wanted to enquire as to whether this was simpe or complex.

I appreciate your concern cremegg but im just trying to learn, i do have experience with multimeters but not with testing of this level.

I think it will be fine, and if i have any problems i think or at least hope :D you guys will be able to help

cheers

I'm with Creamegg on this one, emphasis

Your first post asked how to do some of the required tests and what to use.

Your second asked BAS if it's easy to learn and is the Fluke a good tester as you were thinking of getting one.

In you last post you now have experience of testing, just not at this level.

Do you know how to interpret your results, determine if they are acceptable and what to do when they aren't. The tester will tell you which buttons to press, but not much else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back