Tester help..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice on test kit, young lad at work is just finished his time and unfortunately is not being kept on, after a whip round we have approx £200.

His training was more industrial/marine but he is quite keen to get involved in the domestic side of life, more chance of employment else where if he can get that ticket under his belt also.

So we are thinking of getting test gear so he can test/sign off domestic installations etc.

Is it possible for £200, if so any recommendation's?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You wont get a new one for that, try ebay. There's a Metrel EasiTest on there currently bid price at £150. You could bung in a max bid of £200 & you might get it.
Make sure its got a current cal cert with it.

He'll then have a good starting point. He'd need to get registered to legally sign off most of the work he does though...

TBH I can't see you getting all that much for £200, maybe an IR tester or something. Ebay have 2nd hand stuff if that helps. In order to self certify compliance with building regs (England/Wales) he would also need to become a member of a competent person scheme, have insurance, calibrated test equipment etc.
As he is industrial/marine background all I can advise is try to get him to try and stick with that side of the trade. If he gets his feet in the door somewhere it is a lot easier going as you'll probably know yourself, regular income, no hastle getting moneys in etc as there would be with domestic. Has he applied anywhere? I know what it is like, I was almost laid off when I finished my apprenticeship through lack of jobs going, now they can't get enough tradesmen as they are not training enough. What part of the UK are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Sponsored Links
I would also tell him to put his name down with an agency, as they are crying out round our way for industrial sparkies (decent ones)That seems the only way at the moment to get that kind of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back