1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing joints

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by gpkeen, 15 Nov 2018.

1. gpkeen

gpkeen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I'm looking at slightly moving some pipework for some rads, as well as changing some valves over to TRVs. As I'll be doing a full drain down, was thinking it may be useful to make up the pipework and joins and test beforehand? I can't seem to find a tried and tested method anywhere? Was thinking about somehow connecting up to the outside tap or hose and turning on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Graham

2. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just make the joints and then check for leaks what is so complicated

3. gpkeen

gpkeen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just being sensible. If any leaks can be identified before refilling the system I thought it would make sense!

4. ollski

ollski

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could probably hire a pressure tester but easier and cheaper just to make the joints properly with a smear of hawk white or similar on top to be sure.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local