Testing Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , i have a 145 litre water heater warmed by two emersion heaters but i think one of them may have failed , could you tell me how to test as to wether this is the case so i can identify which one , i guess this will include testing the stat on each one . thanks

Sponsored Links
unscrew the cables to one and put them in a connector block then see if the water gets warm..
if it does, repeat for the other one after re-connecting the first..

if the both get warm then they both work...

Sponsored Links
Isolate circuit from the mains then disconnect one of the wires feeding an element and use a continuity tester (bellset or lamp and battery) across the terminals of the element, if it rings /lights the element is ok, reconnect the wire and do the same for the other element.
A simple continuity tester to test Isolated circuits can be made easily with some wire a battery and bell or lamp. Wire between one terminal on the battery and connect to bell/lamp connect another wire to other side of bell or lamp this wire will connect to one side of element, connect wire from other battery terminal to other terminal of element.

Firstly ..holmslaw you obviously dont know what this site is for so why bother and make a comment which is of new use to man nor beast .

Secondly thanks to everyone else for giving me the info i need and i will hopefully sort the problem , if i was a qualified spark i wouldnt need to ask the question .. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back