Testing Unidentified Cables in Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I have searched and searched and I cannot find any info in how to find out which wire is which using a multimeter on a light fitting with cables that are unidentified. I've fit light fittings before and I have enough knowledge to change them, but I just can't find info in testing wires for Live, Neutral and Earth.
I've attached a photo of the wires, two have thin coloured thread running through them (white and yellow). There is also what appears to be an Earth wire on the "cup."
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190422_185143.jpg
    20190422_185143.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 15562231696495580619136751878987.jpg
    15562231696495580619136751878987.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
The contact on the side of the bulb fitting will be neutral and contact at the bottom of the bulb fitting will be live I would say..

Sponsored Links
Set meter to Ohms Ω (beep if it has one)

Test meter by touching probes together to get desired result - beep or low ohms.
Remember the reading as this is the resistance of the leads.

One probe on the L(Line) contact and the other on the wire ends - find which one beeps or shows near zero Ohms plus leads measurement.
Then the same for the N(Neutral).
Then the same to any exposed metal parts - Earth.
In each case make sure the other two wires do not beep.

upload_2019-4-25_22-8-42.png

Set meter to Ohms Ω (beep if it has one)

Test meter by touching probes together to get desired result - beep or low ohms.
Remember the reading as this is the resistance of the leads.

One probe on the L(Line) contact and the other on the wire ends - find which one beeps or shows near zero Ohms plus leads measurement.
Then the same for the N(Neutral).
Then the same to any exposed metal parts - Earth.
In each case make sure the other two wires do not beep.

View attachment 163335

So,
From L in the bulb holder to the wire with no thread running through = BEEP.
From L to the wire with white thread = no beep.
From L to wire with yellow thread = no beep.

From N to wire with no thread = no beep.
From N to wire with white thread = BEEP.
From N to wire with yellow thread = no beep.

From either L or N to the wire in the cup = no beep.

So I can conclude:
The wire with no thread = LIVE
The wire with white thread = NEUTRAL
The wire with yellow thread = EARTH
The yellow and green thread in cup = EARTH

Sounds about right, do you agree? Seems like a Canadian/US fitting?

Also metal part of light fitting to wire with yellow thread running through showed readings.
Wire in cup showed no readings or beeps no matter what I did.

Does the third wire beep when measured to the earth wire in the cup? (you did not say).
Does it beep when measured against the body of the fitting? (perhaps at a screw or end as it may be lacquered.

It would have been helpful to those helping you had you told them the full info of what the light is, its make, model and /or a photo of the full thing.
From the label it seems to be one of these:
https://www.elsteadlighting.com/products/larkin-3-light-medium-pendant-brushed-nickel/

Which would explain why there is an earth in the plastic tube as that comes from earthing the frame below and not relying on the chain to earth it.

Does the third wire beep when measured to the earth wire in the cup? (you did not say).
Does it beep when measured against the body of the fitting? (perhaps at a screw or end as it may be lacquered.

It would have been helpful to those helping you had you told them the full info of what the light is, its make, model and /or a photo of the full thing.
From the label it seems to be one of these:
https://www.elsteadlighting.com/products/larkin-3-light-medium-pendant-brushed-nickel/

Which would explain why there is an earth in the plastic tube as that comes from earthing the frame below and not relying on the chain to earth it.
Yes that is the correct light fitting in the link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back