Texecom Alarm with Quad PIR’s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had this system for 4 years and every summer (particularly on the hottest days), I will get 2-3 false alarms. I have often posted on here and received very valuable feedback.

Over the years, I have re-sited a couple of PIRs so they aren’t facing the sun, sealed the cable entry holes, checked voltage, regularly dusted around the PIRs, kept windows and doors closed. Despite these measures, there seems to be a definite impact by the hot weather. The system is remarkably accurate during winter months and every summer, a few false alarms seem inevitable.

Do others experience this too?

Sponsored Links
I’ve got these along with DT in garage and loft

Attachments

• 148845C7-DF3C-4A0F-9CC6-CBBBA89F286C.png
    148845C7-DF3C-4A0F-9CC6-CBBBA89F286C.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 177
As per sparky, Optex are pretty much the most reliable PIR you can get. I have several RX40s at home, never had a problem with them. The KX15DT are fine, not sure on the DQ though. I would make sure they aren't set on Auto sensitivty for a start if you're not planning on changing them for something else.

Sponsored Links
I would make sure they aren't set on Auto sensitivty for a start if you're not planning on changing them for something else.

Is this down through a jumper inside the PIR or something similar?

On the Optex PIR’s, are these the ones you would recommend if I was replacing my pyronix?
https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk...116_37/optex-rx40-pt-pet-tollerant-p-147.html

I would need to replace 6 PIR’s. It’s not the end of the world in cost terms, especially if it eliminates the false alarms I get every summer.

On this note, is there something that’s superior in the Optex PIR or inferior in the Pyronix PIR that will have them performing better in these conditions?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, there's a jumper for sensitivity. Low, high and auto are the options, it may be worth trying the low option and seeing how it performs in your installation. The RX40QZ would be the one you want, unless you need the pet immunity function. I don't know of any specific reason why the Optex sensors peform better than most others on the market. They're just a well designed and reliable detector. The only down side to the RX40 is that they don't have EOL resistors built in, so you'll have to add your own if this is the case

My PIR's are set to "Auto" sensitivity. I could drop these to Low as suggested
upload_2020-8-8_23-31-48.png

Practically, what compromise will I be making by reducing sensitivity to low and importantly, is this likely to affect the issue I am experiencing during hot temperatures?

I think auto and low sensitivity are just marketing terms for what used to be called pulse count. I’d always use low sensitivity/pulse count 2 in a normal room and high sensitivity/pulse count 1 in a corridor or a small room.
Which control panel do you have? Most have a double knock attribute which can be very useful.
Proof is in the pudding though and walk testing the detector will prove which option is best.

I have those Pyronix sensors in my sheds and occasionally get a false alarm in really hot weather. I changed the zones to double knock shortly after the system was installed and the problem went away, had another false activation recently though so I’ll check the sensitivity option on mine too.

Is the aim to have the lowest sensitivity but be satisfied with the walk test? I am inclined to set the PIRs to low and see if I’m happy with the results

Is the aim to have the lowest sensitivity but be satisfied with the walk test? I am inclined to set the PIRs to low and see if I’m happy with the results
Yeah that’s about it. To be 100% I’d set the alarm then enter the room. You don’t want the detector activating as soon as you put one foot in the room but to activate after human movement for a second or two.

Pulse count 2/3 on pir and double knock.
Big no no
Correct detector for environment.
Shed ,garage , conservatory commercial properties always fit dual technology sensor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back