Texecom Hold-Up device

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Texecom premier elite and have situated he control panel and dialler in the loft. I’ve also left a cable around the loft hatch for a “hold up” trigger device. Currently I have a PA which is set as silent. The thinking here is that I would dupe any robbers into following me in the loft in their quest for valuables and then discreetly press this button as I prop myself through the loft hatch. This will then alert my family and friends.

Problem: the PA needs to be reset by a key after each use and given its discreet location, it’s difficult to track the key hole. I am also worried that even though this is set as silent, it triggers the dialler and since this is also in the loft, it will give the whole thing away.

Over to the experts.

Sponsored Links
Are you paranoid or what ? .....if your that worried then I think you require a proper monitored system ....

Lol.
It’s good to think all the scenarios through right? I laid cables for my system when the house was being built so I tried to plan ahead.

some will spring back without a key.

but if they are in the house and your inside, your in trouble???

but with sparkymarka if you feel that at risk you should opt for a fully police monitored system

Sponsored Links
Yes I’m in trouble but a hold-up/under duress signal is designed for similar situations I assume?

I was thinking I could take the potential burglar up to the loft where I keep a fake jewellery set and in the way up, hit this button which notifies my contacts without the burglar having any knowledge of it.

Not that far fetched is it?

And what are your contacts going to do ? ....mmmmm sorry didn't have my phone on me ....sorry wasn't in at the time ! Think you have to have a reality check on this ....

hmmm....

not sure what to say.

I worry for you, because sounds like you feel you have something to protect FALSE GEAR, but relying on your friends to take the call.

going to all that trouble to have false gear, to putting yourself in a loft with the burglar and handing them false gear and sending a signal to your friends last minute and expecting support to arrive in time.

Sorry guys, I’m struggling with your responses. I’m not trying to be difficult.
I have valuables and my family to protect like most other people I suspect. I’m struggling to understand why this is so extraordinary. Is it bonkers to have a hold-up / under duress trigger? My in the loft idea may be a bit elaborate but essentially, I want a way to let my friends and family know that I’ve pressed this under duress. I won’t pursue this any further if you still think it’s bonkers!

Don't think your being realistic, however don't know your setup as well as you.

I don't know your family and friends nor does anyone here I suspect.
Whilst your family and friends will do anything for you, well certain ones will, but they are not awake 24 7 and raise the alarm they MIGHT, but what do you think they can realistically do for you and how will they know you need help.

A proper monitored system has been suggested based on your input to the conversation, its nothing to do with feeling your being difficult. Its about what you are saying and how we are interpreting it for what we feel might better represent what you need, rather than what you think you need.

Okay.

I think you need professional guidance (site visit) and possibly a monitored system, to discuss your needs properly and for you to get the right advice, rather than try to second guess.

Just you sort of talk a certain way and then seem to do something that suggests the opposite.

I have family and friends that would come to my property upon alarm activation. I know I don’t need a fully monitored system. Let’s settle that one!

Should I do anything with this hold-up wire that I’ve left or just remove it in your opinion?

Put differently - is there an alarm device which can trigger the dialler without the dialler making all the sounds that it does? I.e. dial away in silence.

I have family and friends that would come to my property upon alarm activation. I know I don’t need a fully monitored system. Let’s settle that one!

My opinion is :

(1) Straight burglary where no one is at risk of attack may be best served by a silent notification. ( response may arrive in time to detain intruders ).

(2) When intruders are putting people at risk of harm anything that persuades the intruders to leave the building is likely but not certain to reduce the risk of harm.

I am a key holder for a protected property. There are three panic alarm buttons. The system is monitored.

The profesional advice given to the owners ( from both alarm company and police ) was that even though a key holder is notified by the alarm monitoring company a loud siren that can be heard inside the house gives the best protection for occupants.

Thanks for your insight @bernardgreen.
On #2 are you suggesting that the siren is the most effective option? In which case, this would be triggered by my PIR's or alternatively the audible PA's.
What do you suggest in a situation where we've forgot to set the alarm and are faced by intruders demanding the sort of stuff they usually do?

On #2 are you suggesting that the siren is the most effective option?

It depends on the burglar. A smash and dash will probably run when the siren starts, a burglar who has researched the property ( cased the joint ) will know how long they have before first response arrives.

What do you suggest in a situation where we've forgot to set the alarm

I would suggest memory training. Though an "alarm not set" bleep in the bedroom could be used to remind you to set it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back