texecom premier installation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of having one of these installed. I'm currently doing a complete refurb and doors / plasterwork / fllors are being replaced.

My current alarm system is going to come out and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to put magnetic sensors on all the doors (cut into doors) and windows and then not bothering with PIR, that way I could zone the house in a number of ways and still allow the dog and cats to roam around.

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Three things,

Firstly is your pet small enough for pet sensors.

depending on spec that means below 27-35 kgs dependent on sensor model.

Secondly

Door sensors or window sensors alone are a poor way to protect a property as you asume the thieves will open the door or the window casement when in fact they may just smash through some glass or a panel or even a roof instead.

Thirdly , with all due respect what is it with pet owners?

They buy pets and then feel such a guilt trip that they then feel obliged to give them the full run of a house as if that someway compensates for leaving them all day.

When I was growing up we constantly had education telling us to shut all the doors within a house to prevent fire spreading. Now noone ever shuts or in some cases even has a door to shut.

It is perfectly possible to lock an animal in a kitchen and it won't go bonkers. Then you can use standard pir sensors in the rest of the house which are better than pet friendly ones anyway if the goal is detecting intruders.

The only time I would give a pet a full run and use only perimiter sensors is if the dog otself was an attack or guard dog.
If your dog is a sweet family lapdog then letting it get to the scrotes getting in may just be the first step on its journey to be kicked to death.

Sorry to be harsh but its a continual issue.

Hi,

I'm not really stressed about the pets.

I was thinking that if the window got busted then as soon as they went through a door it would set the alarm off.

Currently if they busted a downstairs window they might set off an alarm, if they busted an upstairs window they would have to go into the hall to set off an alarm.

I was thinking if the doors and windows are on sensors then everything HAS to be closed before the alarm can be set so my wife and kids (and even me) can't leave things open. So the question was really if I had those is it enough?

With doors being replaced and plaster being dug out it seemed like a good idea to do a fully wired system to every external hole and every internal door and that way I wouldn't have those red things blinking at me, but I suppose I could put a few of them in as well.

Hi,

I'm not really stressed about the pets.

I was thinking that if the window got busted then as soon as they went through a door it would set the alarm off.

Currently if they busted a downstairs window they might set off an alarm, if they busted an upstairs window they would have to go into the hall to set off an alarm.

I was thinking if the doors and windows are on sensors then everything HAS to be closed before the alarm can be set so my wife and kids (and even me) can't leave things open. So the question was really if I had those is it enough?

With doors being replaced and plaster being dug out it seemed like a good idea to do a fully wired system to every external hole and every internal door and that way I wouldn't have those red things blinking at me, but I suppose I could put a few of them in as well.

forget the windows and doors, no really forget about doing those and stick to movement detectors - there is no real difference now between pet and non pet ones in terms of coverage.

Sponsored Links
Blimet Atilla agreeing with me! Is it a full moon?

Yep pir sensors are the way to go even with pets.

Except your entry zone. Always make that a magnetic door contact instead of a pir if possible.

Strangely cats are smaller but more likely to set of pet friendly sensors as they can get close to the sensors by climbing up on things. Or they can fool the sensors when they leap about jumping off things.

Make sure you don't face a pet friendly sensor towards a staircase if you have cats as they jump from halfway up and set them off.

Pet friendly sensors can be made to work very reliably but occasionaly you may have a bit of trial and error with the odd sensor.

okay guys, if that's what you recommend then I'll go with that advice.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back