Texecom Premiere Elite 88 DIY install problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a fairly able DIY-er (we built our own house), and sign-off requires a fire alarm (Grade LD2).

I have bought what I believe to be a competent wired system (Texecom Elite 88 with wired Texecom fire sensors, keypad and sounders), and have wired it according to instructions (as far as I know).

I am stuck at the comissioning stage, because turning it on (connect battery; hold factory defaults and hit battery jumpstart). Heartbeat light works; I get "System Alerts!" from the keypad (set up as an Engineering keypad, Address 10, all switches on). Lid tamper is jumpered.

Here is the problem - I can't clear the System Alerts or get the system to respond by entering the default engineers code.

I assume since I am seeing the messages on the display, that the keypad is wired correctly.

I have read that you should be able to enter the default engineers code (1234) to clear the alerts. I have also tried combinations of the engineers code and master user code (5678), but I can't get past this to start programming the panel from the keypad. I get beeps from pushing the buttons, but nothing changes the display.

See the images of the keypad below - Info, Display and Omit are flashing. Currently, only the keypad is installed on the Network 1 port.

I have exhausted all the help I can find online (including this forum) - I must be doing something simple wrong. Help!

Attachments

• 20231012_122301.jpg
    20231012_122301.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231012_122241.jpg
    20231012_122241.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
First comment is a diyer can’t certify the system.
You have an intruder alarm rather than a fire alarm.

as for compliance I dont do fire, but just how are the sensors wired?

as for codes, enter repeatedly until system enters menus, first enter of correct code scrolls through alerts second should get you into the menus

Well this is embarrassing...!

First of all, thanks for the quick reply: I realise that I can't certify, and if I hadn't already bought the equipment and attempted the install, I would have got a company to install it. My plan from here is to get it to the point where it is working, and ask for help from a professional to do whatever remedial work is required to get it up to spec.

The point of using an intruder alarm is that (perhaps naively) I assumed it could perform both functions. All the smoke and heat detectors are Texecom - am I mistaken?

The problem turned out to be a side-effect of the wiring - the entire house uses structured wiring based around CAT-6a cabling (and the alarm wiring was installed along with everything else during construction).

In wiring the network, I used a coulour mapping that meant brown/white and green/white carried the network signal (in this case, to the keypad). The lighting in the network cupboard is poor, and the difference between brown/white and green/white is subtle in that light - I got them crossed, and it was difficult to spot without buzzing through the wires - which I did this morning, and discovered the error.

So of course, the keypad is powered, but has no usable connection to the panel. Swapped the wires, and it's all working according to spec.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
An intruder alarm, panel is not designed to behave the same as a fire panel.

Fire devices should not be wired in intruder alarm cable and the list goes on.
What is usually done in the industry is the fire panel triggers the alarm panel wrt to notifications etc, but its a separate fire panel and intruder panel.

As for compliance of the parts, again you need to consult a fire system installer.

Apollo used to make Texecoms smoke detectors but no idea now Texecom is no longer apart of Halma.

Probably best to get someone to take a look and advised, was at a pub not so long ago and the intruder alarm wasnt installed properly and it was also being used as a fire alarm and wasn't wired correctly. The company doing the fire alarm system took out all the fire gear wired to the intruder alarm and I believe they only reused the call points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back