Texecom replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
History: We've a 10 year old (coincidentally EXACTLY 10yrs to the day since I fitted it!) Texecom Veritas R8 which has developed an intermittent fault (Zone 5). Even with the sensor cables removed and a shorting link on the terminals the keypad occasionally shows the zone as "open". Tried cleaning both sides of the circuitboard but no difference so it's time to bin it.
We only need a basic home system (1 E/E 7 Guard, 5 PIRs & 3 switches no Fire or PA), we do need a remote keypad and the outside SCB is an Odyssey 3.
As all the wiring is concealed the easy option will be to stick with Texecom in the hope that it'll be a "simple swop" of parts but I find programming the Veritas a nightmare.
So the questions are:
Is the Elite series the most basic/suitable for my needs?
Do the newer LCD keypads make programming less painful (surely can't worse)?
Will LCD keypads work with the preinstalled/hidden 4-wire cable?
Is it worth sticking with Texecom or is there a more basic (cheaper?), compatible (wiring-wise) option?
Mick

Sponsored Links
Veritas programming is one of the easiest.
Option to Install new veritas straight swap.
Elite panel is next up in the range and would cost more to replace. Programming from keypad is hard than linked to laptop with Wintex software.

After a few frustrating hours, discovered there's a Texecom Excel which, for a panel AND LCD keypad isn't a lot more expensive that the Veritas R8 (or R8+) and considerably cheaper that the Elite. Anyone got any views re. false economy etc.

I would go with the Premier elite 24 if your budget will allow.Better false alarm management for fault finding and upgradeable if required.
The excel lcd keypad functions are not great.

Sponsored Links
The Veritas Excel would take your old LED keypad.

You could try the excel keypad and decide if you liked it or not and get some money back on eBay.

I agree the Elite would be a better option.

As for prices kits can sometimes work out better value for panel plus keypad

Thanks, it sounds appealing, however the existing panel is located in a restricted position...the height space is 295 mm and I believe the Elite is 285mm! That's not allowing much room for ventilation. Also, equally important - is the software freely available to a non-professional installer?
When I located it on Texecom's downloads page it had a red padlock on the D/L link.
Mick

There are few diyers that have registered and downloaded it from this forum in the past.

No idea if there is anything currently stopping you.

Last edited:
I've just discoverd that the height of the Elite polymer is 265 mm so that's a whole 30mm clearance! I might just go for that. Thanks to all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back