New Forum Help "thanks" -> "likes"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Must the idiocies of the "yoof of today" pervade even professional advice communities? If you printed off a list of instructions how to repoint a wall and gave them to a work colleague, would it be more appropriate for him to say "thanks for that" or punch you on the shoulder, give you a thumbs up and say "like!"

:rolleyes:

This is not a place to post pictures of kittens, or videos of dragracing policemen. "Like" may have its place if we even have a forum for netizens to post up the fruits of their labours, but it is not synonymous with the notion of thanking someone for helping you out

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The thinking behind it is that 'like' is more universal and can be applied to a wider array of situations to convey positivity where thanks would not be appropriate, while at the same time posting a thank you message would be perfectly acceptable and make sense, where as posting 'I like that' would be odd.

This was debated before, the site is predominantly a site where people come for advice. If you're in a builders merchant or down the pub and someone offers you some advice that you appreciate you wouldn't say I like it you'd say thanks. Like is just dumb and frankly an insult to the thousands of helpful regulars who offer awesome advice for free. To say their advice is liked is an insult to me. It's just pandering and some embarrassing attempt at being seen to fit in with younger generation.

AND THERE'S STILL NOT ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FREEKIN USERNAME TO BE DISPLAYED PROPERLY!

The thinking behind it is that 'like' is more universal and can be applied to a wider array of situations to convey positivity where thanks would not be appropriate, while at the same time posting a thank you message would be perfectly acceptable and make sense, where as posting 'I like that' would be odd.

Would it be possible to have separate counters for "likes" and "thanks".

There are posts that are not likeable but the poster deserves thanks for posting what may be unpleasant or un-wanted advice that helps the thread originator to avoid disaster, injury or death.

an un-informed person said:
I don't like being told I cannot do it but I am thankful to be told why I cannot do it

Sponsored Links
How many times has a poster replied with the words 'Thanks' rather than 'I like that'? Thanks is written far more often and the thanks/like debate should reflect that.

My point was 'like' conveys an appreciation that otherwise wouldn't be conveyed, where as thanks can be conveyed via a message.

I am interested in hearing wider opinion on this now the site is live...

My point was 'thanks' conveys an appreciation that otherwise wouldn't be conveyed, where as likes can be conveyed via a message.

My point was 'thanks' conveys an appreciation that otherwise wouldn't be conveyed, where as likes can be conveyed via a message.
But that isn't true, before the thanks button (and since) people post messages of thanks. I don't recall seeing 'like' equivalent posts, yet since the changeover I have had occasion to use the Like button where if it had been a thanks button it wouldn't have been appropriate.

But this forum isn't predominantly a social forum it's for giving out advice. A like means something altogether different to thanks. If you insist on having a like tab then have both. Or keep the like tab for the GD section where the imbeciles hang out.

If you were in a builders merchant and a builder gave you some great advice, tell me, would you thank them for that or would you say I like that? A like tab gives a completely different meaning to things. I've 'liked' at least two of your posts in the last few days, actually I didn't like the content of your posts much but wanted to thank you for them. But now there's now long term means of doing that.

This is not a place to post pictures of kittens
kitten22.jpg

I prefer "Thanks", as said "like" dont seem apropriate, also when you look at the persons profile the "count" gives the impresion , they know what there talking about, rather than have posted jokes and pics that people like.
I thought thats why the Thanks count on the old forum was different in GD so as not to confuse people.
There was people in GD with lots of thanks but in reality never ventured out of GD

I'd much rather have a "Thanks received" counter under my name than a "Likes received" one - I'm not trying to be popular, I'm trying to help other people.

If we must have "Like", can we have "Hate" or "Not like" to go with it? (Where's the tongue-in-cheek emoticon?) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back