New Forum Help "thanks" -> "likes"

1427179833a4042940904b575555336l.gif

Thanks DIYnot!

Sponsored Links
I have been looking into this on and off since the feedback from the beta and the feedback since the switch. In light of the majority desire for the return of the Thanks button, I hope to add it back to run alongside the Like button. The Thanks count which changed to Like count would be then be restored back to the thanks and the Likes would either start from scratch or represent what has been liked since the switchover. This isn't a long term aim, it will hopefully be complete in the next week, depending upon obstacles met along the way.

Cheers.

Another vote for a Thanks button.

You could have both - then those that like a post can like it and those that want to thank someone can thank it.

What we don't eant to end up with is posts that say thank's or I like that as they just clutter the place up.

Sponsored Links
Well I "like" the cat.

But I don't want to "thank" the cat!

But I am still trying to find out how to upload a new image! ( Sorry should have called the old image a "media". Or am I looking at the wrong thing? )

In any case, nobody likes me, but some do still thank me!

But I am still trying to find out how to upload a new image!
If you just want to use the picture in the post you a replying in, click on the 'Upload a file' button below the reply box (bottom right or middle).

If you want to upload a photo into what used to be Albums (it still is btw, just under the Media tab), click on the Media tab and look for the 'Add Media' button (orange) on the right hand side. Clicking on that will take you here:
//www.diynot.com/diy/media/add

Tried that link above.

But even though it ended "jpg" it gave me an error message that it "is not an allowed extension" !

Tried that link above.

But even though it ended "jpg" it gave me an error message that it "is not an allowed extension" !
Hmm, very interesting! Would you mind emailing it to me ([email protected]) and I'll try and work out what's going on?

Yes, that's normal ;). Some javascript sorts it out once the page has loaded.

AND THERE'S STILL NOT ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FREEKIN USERNAME TO BE DISPLAYED PROPERLY!

Yes, I was wondering what one positive things one could "win" on freddy Mercury street.. Anything from a meat-wearing radio to something less savoury from a sizeable lady I expect

My point was 'like' conveys an appreciation that otherwise wouldn't be conveyed, where as thanks can be conveyed via a message.

I am interested in hearing wider opinion on this now the site is live...

I agree that like and thanks each have their place, and that in an ideal world we'd have counters for both.. But we mustn't forget that Facebook invented the concept of liking so that it could better profile the consumer interests of its denizens, and it's now become the universal provision for people to express some kind of sway towards a post for reasons seldom related to thanking the poster. Let's say ban-all-sheds is having a really good rip at someone making their 100th post on the topic of an illegal block of flats conversion, and I can't be arsed to join he debate, but I appreciate the effort he's putting in. Should I like his post? Thank him for it? Or is doing neither of these actions more what diynot is about?

Personally I can't stand the concept of like, hashtag, follow, reddit, 4chan and even struggle to find the sense in writing a blog.. But then, I'm 35 and hence well past all the internet moronisms/memes so if it was down to a choice of like or thanks, I'd pick thanks as its a more valuable metric for an advice forum. The official name is gamification, but I think of it like eBay feedback.. I'm quite proud that not many people here exceed 10% post:thank ratio for their advice. To have that high thank ratio be diluted by extending the concept means there is no longer a metric for whether my advice is trustworthy and true, and less motivation for me because I see it as a less worthful accolade

Thanks and Like are now happily coexisting (hopefully). The thanks count has been restored, and likes effectively start from zero from a few hours ago.

The option to like / thank now appears at the bottom right of a post and is only visible for the post your mouse is over (unless mobile in which case they are there all the time).

Example:
upload_2015-6-24_18-46-24.png

Sponsored Links
Back