That question again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times but every situation is different so here goes.

I want to take the dividing wall down between my Kitchen and dining room. Both rooms are in an extension that was added to the property in 2004 by the previous owners. It is a single storey (only loft space above) and the wall in question constructed using some kind of light weight build block. it's an odd roof in that half the trusses cross the wall and the other half don't. for the ones that do cross the wall they do not have a joint above it and it looks like the ceiling was plaster boarded and the the wall was built up to meet it as there is 12.5mm plaster board between the top of the breeze block wall and the trusses. Hopefully a picture will display with this post so you can see what I mean.

Any advice greatly received

I have asked a friendly builder to come and have a look and I won't be knocking anything down until he has seen it but I am hoping someone can forewarn me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As half the trusses cross the wall am I right in assuming that it is a hip roof? Whilst accurate advice cannot be given on a forum without seeing the job, from your description I would think that the wall can just be taken down without a problem, although there is a vague possibility that it could give some lateral support to another wall.

Yes I believe it is a hip roof although it is three sided rather than four because it butts up to the original back of the house.

Thanks for your reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back