the best timber for interior window shutters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to make 6 off 58" x 12" foot panelled shutters for a Georgian property for the inside of the windows. Shutters have to be 1" thick. Shutters will be painted when completed. Whats the best timber for the job? The windows get the sun from 4.30am in the morning so I need something that isn't going to warp and twist and is very stable which presumably means some PAR softwood from the likes of B&Q or Wickes will be out of the question :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
North American Poplar (tulipwood) will be ideal, its easy to work and takes a paint finish well. Almost free from knots and quite stable.

If the shutters are frame and poanel construction then either birch ply or MDF for the panels if the client is happy with that otherwise its deepsawing the poplar and run it through your thicknesser.

Jason

Ramin is on the CITES list so not very P.C. to use it now ;)

Jason

Sponsored Links
cheers Jason. I was hoping someone would say Tulipwood as I'd heard that was a good option along with with Cedar. Cedars dear though about £40 a cubic foot *gulp* whereas Tulip is about £15. Thanks again.

PS Strange about Ramin, years ago Ramin was everywhere!

matz said:
PS Strange about Ramin, years ago Ramin was everywhere!

Thats why there is not much left now ;) was always used for dowels, picture frames and those louvered shutters.

JAson

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back