The Booze-Bus!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should the people who are 'recovered' by this ambulance be made to pay the full cost of its operation?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7147646.stm

I find it disgusting that these binge drinkers can take up all the slack that is built into a hospitals emergency plans, leaving no room for real emergencies.

Perhaps they should be left where they are in the gutters until the road sweeper comes along to wash the roads in the morning. Any ill that befalls them is self inflicted and so stuff 'em.

I don't think the all-day/all-night drinking laws can be totally blamed for the state of some of these. Most night clubs were open until 2 or 3am prior to the introduction of the '24 hour' drinking laws, and the streets were full of p1ssheads then. I hate that media term '24 hour drinking' because very few licenced premises are actually licenced or even open 24 hours.

Open All Hours for your opinions.

Sponsored Links
I would be pleased if they could be hosed down and lobbed into cells to sleep it off.

Sadly some of them will die in the night so it will be the NHS's "fault" :rolleyes:

And sometimes there will be people who have had strokes or other genuine problems who give the appearance of being drunks :(

I like the idea of a modest fine the next morning for being drunk on the streets.

What we need is a breathalyser squad issuing on-the-spot-fines.

£100 for being over the limit sounds about right.

Sponsored Links

for being over the limit? is there a limit for walking now? get real.

these people are the same ones that pay the taxes and go out once a week to unwind, a percentage, and im sure its tiny, get too drunk and get into the trouble that the link shows.

if the nhs charged like the yanks do, then im sure it would solve various other problems, i personally would be happy to see 100 drunks in A & E than 1 person flying in from india / poland etc for thier operations that they couldnt be arsed to pay for in their own country, then as soon as they are well go back home happy. at least these folk are still here paying for the treatment they had.

and if you are just as likely to get fined for staggering down the road you are for drink driving im sure the drink drivers would increase.

I would be pleased if they could be hosed down and lobbed into cells to sleep it off.

Sadly some of them will die in the night so it will be the NHS's "fault" :rolleyes:

and if you put then in a cell and they die it will be the fault of the police

these people are the same ones that pay the taxes and go out once a week to unwind, a percentage, and im sure its tiny, get too drunk and get into the trouble that the link shows.

if the nhs charged like the yanks do, then im sure it would solve various other problems, i personally would be happy to see 100 drunks in A & E than 1 person flying in from india / poland etc for thier operations that they couldnt be a***d to pay for in their own country, then as soon as they are well go back home happy. at least these folk are still here paying for the treatment they had.

and if you are just as likely to get fined for staggering down the road you are for drink driving im sure the drink drivers would increase.

Of course there's a limit - you couldn't get arrested for being drunk otherwise. Parliament would set the limit - say twice the legal driving limit.

Hypocritical to complain and penalise people who get drunk when the authorities lengthen the drinking hours, if they were commited to peoples wellbeing they should have shortened them, its the same as with smoking, no blanket ban as they dont want to lose the tax revenue.

joe. You cant get arrested for being drunk.

The offence is being drunk and disorderly.

Another offence is being drunk and incapable.

Both will likely land you a night in the cells.

But being drunk and over any sort of limit alone is not cause for arrest or any sort of fine. Get real.

if the nhs charged like the yanks do, then im sure it would solve various other problems, i personally would be happy to see 100 drunks in A & E than 1 person flying in from india / poland etc for thier operations that they couldnt be a***d to pay for in their own country, then as soon as they are well go back home happy. at least these folk are still here paying for the treatment they had.

Of course there's a limit - you couldn't get arrested for being drunk otherwise. Parliament would set the limit - say twice the legal driving limit.

So, twice the driving limit makes ME drunk? for walking home to get off the streets before the yobs appear?

So, twice the driving limit makes ME drunk? for walking home to get off the streets before the yobs appear?

not sure what you are getting at 3L but what joe is saying is so ridiculous its unreal. the driving limit is set at appro 2 pints, so your saying everyone who has had 4 or more pints would potentionally be taken to the cells for the night and fined? the pub industry is on its arse as it is, that would kill it off

There was a bit on our news tonight about a centre that is for drunks. It takes the pressure off the hospitals and it has one ambulance crew there to triage the folks brought in - minor injuries they can treat. It's also a safe, warm place for the drunk to sleep it off until they're capable of getting home. Seems like a good idea cos it's taking the strain off the A&E departments at the hospitals and it's only taking ONE ambulance crew off the streets instead of a multitude of call outs to non emergencies.

But being drunk and over any sort of limit alone is not cause for arrest or any sort of fine. Get real.

Alcohol is a drug, albeit a legal one. Is there anything more obnoxious than a drunk? You can't drink and drive so neither should you be able to get totally drunk in public. There is a point where you are no-longer capable of behaving normally in public - hence the fine.

Alcohol is a drug, albeit a legal one. Is there anything more obnoxious than a drunk? You can't drink and drive so neither should you be able to get totally drunk in public. There is a point where you are no-longer capable of behaving normally in public - hence the fine.

so who is to say what the "walking" limit is joe? you?? its totally stupid and pointless, you would get hundreds of people blocking up an already busting to the limit legal system with people going to court to contest the fine, then what if they dont pay the fine? doing 6 months for haveing one too many beers then WALKING home?

I reckon the people on the booze bus are incapably drunk, so over the limit

the ones who are so drunk they cause damage, or vomit on your front doorstep are over the limit

the ones who can't stand are over the limit

the ones who wander into the traffic are over the limit.

the ones who can walk home sensibly without causing trouble are not over the limit

Sponsored Links
Back