The French .... Again.. poor jersey

Why must, for example, Greek people have a right to live and work in the U.K. just because we buy oranges from Spain?
It was mutual reciprocity, and many UK people welcomed it.

Why must we live under laws the EU pass just because we buy olives from Italy? There was nothing wrong with the 'Common Market' so why did they change it?
For mutual reciprocity to work effectively and freely, standards must be set that all agree to operate.

Sponsored Links
however she did not like the thought of the EEC becoming the EU it has today. "Margaret Thatcher actively opposed the Maastricht Treaty.[2] She declared in a speech in the House of Lords that she "could never have signed that Treaty"

from wikipedia on the treaty versailles "The delegates of the Commonwealth and British Government had mixed thoughts on the treaty, with some seeing the French policy as being greedy and vindictive"
which I suspect most sensible bits agree with.

Was in French waters in 2019; bl**dy French fishermen cut marker lines, the one night we stopped in harbour we were disturbed 3 times - forced to move the boat twice, third time a fishing boat tied up alongside, then that crew stomped over our boat for around 30 minutes before disappearing until the next high water plus one stopping us from getting away.

Seems to be continual attitude!

It looks like my suspicions were correct.
And then Boris is passing the buck.

The Jersey government has added what it calls two "very minor" conservation measures to the new access agreement, dealing with dredging and nesting areas. It argues that neither of them are unreasonable.

France argues that the new rules create restricted zones, and limit the kind of fishing equipment which can be used. They say many of their local boats could be put out of business.

If Jersey's position does not change, France is reserving the right to retaliate.

France has threatened to cut electricity supplies to Jersey.

This may be just tough talk, but France would theoretically be within their rights to take this action.

The Brexit deal says that in some cases, both the UK and the EU can respond to a breach of one part of the agreement - eg in fishing - by imposing sanctions in another area (electricity supplies).

But they would have to prove that the agreement really had been breached, and that would take some time.

However, the UK government is ultimately responsible for its international relationships. That's why access to fishing waters around the Channel Islands are dealt with specifically in the new UK-EU trade agreement.

The European Commission backs France and says the terms of the trade deal are not being respected.

The UK says it informed the European Commission about the new licences - but the Commission says this happened only one day before they came into effect, giving no time for any discussion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/57001584

Sponsored Links
Apart from the 17.4M people who decided in June 2016 to walk away from it.
Minor point: There is no reason to believe all of them wanted or expected us to leave the single market. The EU isn't the same as the EEA.

It was mutual reciprocity, and many UK people welcomed it.
Except for xenophobic 'little englanders'...

Who care not for the life choices of their children and their grandchildren and so on...

No worries though...

They'll be welcoming all those Asian people with open arms, won't they?

I work with two Irish citizens, two Germans, two Israelis, a Canadian and about 8-10 Uk citizens
Several of my friends worked in Europe.
Now it's much harder and my non Uk colleagues have had to jump through hoops to remain.

apparently the F***** are or were supposed to supply quota details , they have not for the last 20 years

since this brexit caper they have been asked again to supply historic quota records . They dont have any

so in other words they have been taking what they like for the last 20 odd years ( stealing)

typical F*****

scoundrels ;)

Minor point: There is no reason to believe all of them wanted or expected us to leave the single market.
Major problem: As soon as people put a cross against a totally unqualified "leave" which was being driven by a bunch of proven liars they gave people who they knew were utterly untrustworty carte blanche to leave in whatever way they chose.

Was in French waters in 2019; bl**dy French fishermen cut marker lines, the one night we stopped in harbour we were disturbed 3 times - forced to move the boat twice, third time a fishing boat tied up alongside, then that crew stomped over our boat for around 30 minutes before disappearing until the next high water plus one stopping us from getting away.

This behaviour from fishermen is common also in Greece. Even though not officially designated, fishermen "own" a part of the marina, and woe and betide you if you park in any of those slots (unaware). I had wooden, ugly, dirty boats tieing up on my boat and fishermen with heavy boots jumping into and out of my boat, my leather seats etc. And then I was blocked in and had to go around the harbour trying to find the right fishermen to come untie their boats so I could go before sunset. It happens to anyone who dares tie up where they should not.

However there is respect because when in distress they come out to sea to save you.

I work with two Irish citizens, two Germans, two Israelis, a Canadian and about 8-10 Uk citizens
Several of my friends worked in Europe.
Now it's much harder and my non Uk colleagues have had to jump through hoops to remain.

It certainly won't affect your Irish friends because they will still enjoy the benefits of the CTA which has been in place since 1922. The Israelis and Canadian will need work permits as they would have done in the eu, the only change is for the Germans surely, applying for a work permit is hardly 'jumping through hoops'.

This behaviour from fishermen is common also in Greece. Even though not officially designated, fishermen "own" a part of the marina, and woe and betide you if you park in any of those slots (unaware). I had wooden, ugly, dirty boats tieing up on my boat and fishermen with heavy boots jumping into and out of my boat, my leather seats etc. And then I was blocked in and had to go around the harbour trying to find the right fishermen to come untie their boats so I could go before sunset. It happens to anyone who dares tie up where they should not.

However there is respect because when in distress they come out to sea to save you.

To be fair, similar happened to me on the Isle of Man. I think fishermen worldwide can be a little cranky towards people who sail for pleasure.

Sponsored Links
Back