The good old eaves height on a bungalow extension messing up Permitted dev. rights chestnut.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have read a number of threads on here where a single story flat roof rear extension on a bungalow hits the issue where the upper face of the flat roof is classed as the new eaves height, therefore will normally be above the existing eaves height and therefore full planning is required, but anyone had any successful ways around it?

I get why planning laws are in place but this does seem a bit daft where bungalows are concerned. Even more daft in my situation as neighbours and boundaries are nowhere near and won't even be able to see what will be a fairly small extension nestled in between 2 existing gable ends - see photo where the yellow wall will effectively come out 4 metres rearwards from its current position.

A pitched roof is bulkier, higher and more unsightly to some but would be allowed under Permitted rules (within reason) but I'm reluctant to do that as it would look too busy between the 2 gables. I am just starting pre-planning chats with the Council to find a way forward but get the feeling they are struggling with workload / Covid implications and have even less time to even consider being practical so I'd rather present them with a solution than hope they give me one - so has anyone successfully come up with a way round the eaves issue ie putting a small sloped roof section on the front of the flat roof to create some lower eaves, or maybe a gulley between the flat roof and bungalow etc? Not keen on dropping floor and ceiling down to bring everything down. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• Extension copy.png
    Extension copy.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Do you think a planning application would be refused?

A flat roof is above pitched roof eaves anyway because it sits on the wall plate if you want the ceiling level with existing. That's nothing to do with planning rules

I always think, if it is not a clear and simple case of PD, then get planning approval first - saves people moaning, or at least, moaning in the hope to getting it changed.

Sponsored Links
Do you think a planning application would be refused?

A Planning application should sail through, yes, but apart from saving a bit of cash on a planning application we are actually in a position to crack straight on with the build as my builder friend has a slot. We could just do that anyway and apply for PP as we go along as a subsequent application should pass anyway, or a non approved infringement purely over eaves height is unlikely to be enforced - but for various reasons I am not keen on doing that and would much prefer to find a simple PDR route to get the build done.

Last edited:
A flat roof is above pitched roof eaves anyway because it sits on the wall plate if you want the ceiling level with existing. That's nothing to do with planning rules

Sorry, not quite with you - the only reason we see we can't proceed under PDR's with a preferred flat roof is the potential eaves height infringement, which is going to be around 380 mm over - which we are looking to find a way round with Pre-Planning advice.....which would be a planning issue would it not?

Bungalows do throw up this conundrum because if there were any other eaves higher up on the property elsewhere, say where a mini roof section or balcony with eaves had been previously formed elsewhere, then the highest eaves can be used as the maximum height and therefore my proposed extension should sail through under PDRs.

Last edited:
I always think, if it is not a clear and simple case of PD, then get planning approval first - saves people moaning, or at least, moaning in the hope to getting it changed.

You're absolutely right, but we do have an opportunity to crack straight on with the build though and as no one can barely see what we are doing then most would be none the wiser - but the moment a planning app goes up then they all come out the wood work. We do have a number of houses behind but quite a distance back and divided by high hedges, but it is a very cliquey area !

But it is if you look in the Technical Guidance as to how they define 'eaves height'.

Could something like this work, with a 'dummy' eaves with 2 courses of tiles? Wall plate at the same height as the existing wall plate, so technically the eaves would be the same height as the existing eaves.
The flat roof and dummy rafters could be supported on one timber beam each side; fiddly, i know; it would be easier if the outer wall was a straight gable.

Attachments

• Handwritten_2021-10-28_193808.pdf
    136.8 KB · Views: 142
Convert the window to a door and then build a porch under PD. No eaves restriction on a porch - just overall height of 3m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back