Eaves height for rear extension to bungalow query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I am proposing to build a rear extension to my bungalow. The bungalow has a standard pitch roof with the soffit at the top of the windows. (eaves height 2.7m).

Looking through the Permitted Development rights it states that the eaves must be no higher than the existing. Does this mean that you cannot have a standard flat roof extension to any bungalow which would naturally have a higher eaves (unless the floor to ceiling height was considerably lower). Or is this excused for bungalows? The new eaves height would be 3m.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Correct. Under PD, the proposed eaves cannot exceed the original eaves irrespective of the type of dwelling.

I’ve had this on another bungalow project of which there was an ‘original’ first floor rear dormer. So in that case, one would assume the maximum eaves height would be that of the dormer and not the main roof.

thank you for your response. It is interesting as I suspect many, many single storey flat roof extensions have been built to bungalows which in theory should have had Planning Applications but were overlooked as you would expect a simple flat roof extension to be PD

Pre-2008, that was more than likely the case when the PD rules changed. 2.7m is quite high for normal soffits anyway. What height is your ceiling, approx. 300mm higher than soffit level?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back