The good old eaves height on a bungalow extension messing up Permitted dev. rights chestnut.

Yes a 5.7m wide x 4 m deep porch might raise a few eyebrows - but the Mrs does have a lot of shoes !

We were toying with something like a section of sloping roof round the sides to bring the eves down - so it almost becomes a pitched roof with most of it lopped off horizontally !

Just seems such a daft ongoing issue typical for single flat roof extensions on bungalows. It's probably the cause for many folk previously opting for a cold roof design flat roof over warm, purely to try and dodge this quirk, but with plenty of examples out there of not getting the ventilation correct and having all kinds of damp issues.

I'm sure theres a few ideas on ways forward, but the key thing is has anyone successfully done it under PDR's with the nod of the Planning folks. Ultimately what I am looking for is the Planning dept given me their opinion that the proposal is ok under PDR's so we have peace of mind in cracking on.

Thanks for all the various comments so far.

Sponsored Links
We were toying with something like a section of sloping roof round the sides to bring the eves down - so it almost becomes a pitched roof with most of it lopped off horizontally !
That's as woody suggested. It's doubtful you'll get planning to nod it through. With planning the LPA have some latitude, but with PD they have very little. It either is or isn't - and this isn't. My advice is either apply for planning or just do it and apply for planning if you get a knock on the door. You won't get a knock on the door unless a neighbour complains, so don't go with option 2 if there is any chance of pi$$ing anyone off.

edit; I should add this is casual advice and should not be taken as professional advice, either paid or unpaid. In fact I withdraw the phrase 'my advice' and insert 'whatever you do don't do anything that might contravene planning legislation'. There, now carry on.

Thanks Jeds - and no worries the manner and intention of your reply is greatly acknowledged as just helpful advice from t'internet.

As for the "It either is or isn't" within PD I am curious as to whether there actually is a middle route / grey area as in by adding sloping edges to a flat roof then at what point does a flat roof become a pitched roof with its top lopped off? ... if 10% is sloping or 90% is sloping if you catch my drift. Pitched roofs look as if they would pass under PDR's whereas Flat roofs have the issue. I'm chatting to a few angles including some retired planning authority friends who do get my point but have to admit they have been out the loop far too long and are not up to date. I'm pursuing it out of general intrigue as well as actually needing to build something.

Sponsored Links
Eaves are taken to be vertically above the outer wall surface. A bit difficult to explain but if you follow the wall surface vertically through the thickness of the roof the eaves is the top of the roof vertically above the outer wall surface. You could possibly get something to work but I don't think it's worth compromising the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back