the good the bad and the ugly!

Gasguru said:
ollski said:
....bg will do a same / next day fixed price repair for about 160 quid including part, labour and guarantee?

No they don't, they often fail to turn up at the appointed time, then when they do they don't have the parts, arrange a repeat visit and then don't turn up etc etc hence out of desperation I get called.

I used to work for several estate agents, invariably some landlords will have the boiler covered on contract. However I would still carry out the LGSR. Often I would find serious faults and liase/meet BG to resolve.
Several landlords have been in dispute over appalling service to which I have been asked to give a second opinion to.

The landlords thing I understand even though for contract customers the bg landlords thing is dirt cheap, but they never ask.

I just don't believe you or anyone else gg fixes everything without a return visit, it would be impossible to stock every fan, pcb, wiring loom, case, seal, sensor, burner etc for every boiler even if you choose what you work on...let alone for everything that exists.

Time management is an issue that has been adressed and one of the reasons engineers are no longer allowed to attend to a breakdown which extends the time allowed for a service. With a bit of luck that should reduce broken appointments although sometimes unforeseen circumstances can drag out a job causing the rest of the days schedule to go out of the window.

Sponsored Links
As for performance targets, if a business requires targets it doesn't say much for the workforce, how about just doing an honest days work. Never had targets in any previous job I've had. Just leads to unethical working practice.

Id love nothing more than an honest days work, which is what I aim for every day, unfortunetly every month I get pulled in for "poor Performance" have a meaningless discussion with a manager, and agree to "do more work" and the cycle starts again. even tho I know in myself I do a good job, my customers are very happy wiht me and my attitude towards them 99% of the time and Im proud of it. I still get recalls and some jobs ive not done right, but ive been on the tools for about 17 months so im no where near at the level most of you will be at, bbut Im more than capable of caring about getting a job done right and thats half the battle at BG.

Was at a job on a boilermate 2000 the other day, wasnt heating very well, and hhad started to make some sort of clunking/tapping noise. I tooke the cover off and noticed that 2 of the 3 pumps were on setting 3, and one of them was set to 1, i proced to put the other pump upto 3 and the noise starts very loud, like something rattleing in the pipe, took a magnet to the source of the noise and caught whatever it was. spent the best part of an hour draining it down to find what id caught was a 3 inch nail floating in the pipe. spend another 40 min waiting on it filling (with no cigs left in the van!!) go it up and runing and found the boiler stat itsself at minimum. Now this has clearly been notice by an enginer unwilling to spend time or effort on the system (or there more concerened about "performance") and I, being unable to hide a problem and walk away, have had to spend ages getting it sorted!!

so I totaly agree with yo on the unethical working practice, its just not possible to complete 8-9 randomly selected breakdowns every day month in month out withought cutting corners and givving sub standard service.

With regards to the 84yo guy getting a boiler ID'd so the engineer can get a lead and his £10bucks is a discrace and no good BG engineer would back him up over you in this matter. like whats been said, 5-6 thousand engineers, if 1% of our work force are ****e (which i suspect its probably quite a bit more in reality) then thats a lot of bad engineers, but still many many more exelent ones.

When you say the engineers from london are rubbish, chances are there not even from london, theyll get paid to go down and do a months work, and as far as ive been told, there performance doesnt get measured when there, so if they can put off a ****e job they will. however if there not turning up on time or on days theve been booked for, i fully suspect that this is not the negineers fault, and actualy that of a severly flawed 1 job at a time usless computer system+call center newbies that dont know there arse from their elbow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back