the good the bad and the ugly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iam a fairly new member to the site but i've quickly noticed theres a big issue over british gas engineers and the company in general. so i thought id make a thread about it! i am a bg engineer and alot of stories i keep hearing which basically slag the company off sound untrue and alot of the time unrealistic. in my opinion they supply a gud service at a gud price and better than most private engineers as long as you understand the t & c's!

here comes the questions!!
has anyone on here had a bad exsperience with bg? (engineer or customer) and what was it?
anyone had a good exsperince? and what was it?
and what is your opinion, gud or bad??

Sponsored Links
I've had a bad engineer trying to frighten an old couple into replacing their back boiler unnecessarily, I've posted on here before in converstaion with nickso, one of your colleagues.

The trouble is on here that any BG engineer who is on here obviously cares about his work and is obviously good, but in such a large organisation run by targets etc, you will always get a few who spoil the name for the rest ;)

i thought my spelling was bad

gas_man_gaz said:
.............. a gud service at a gud price and better than most private engineers as long as you understand the t & c's!

bad exsperience with bg? (engineer or customer) and what was it?

yes i have a bg contract i can quite happily say most of them don't have a clue what they are doing

ya wont get any worse than mine breezer! ya ****a :LOL:
ya said they had'nt a clue, what makes ya say that then??

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i thought my spelling was bad

gas_man_gaz said:
.............. a gud service at a gud price and better than most private engineers as long as you understand the t & c's!

bad exsperience with bg? (engineer or customer) and what was it?

yes i have a bg contract i can quite happily say most of them don't have a clue what they are doing

if you dont like the service why dont you go elsewere

breezer said:

Lol, probably true enough Breezer, but at least there is the knowledge that you will get someone who does sooner or later.

ooo very diplomatic gas4you, i can agree with that comment and yes breezer ive prob spelt it wrong! :oops:

oakland99 said:
if you dont like the service why dont you go elsewere

i never said i didn't like it, i said

breezer said:

gas_man_gaz said:
ooo very diplomatic gas4you, i can agree with that comment and yes breezer ive prob spelt it wrong! :oops:

It has started to get a bit less bg bashing on here in the last year or so.....I think it's probably that there are so many bg guys now posting here ;)

I like the lil dude....
small_gas_flame_new7.jpg
Dunno what he's called tho

Does that help ? :LOL:

Not another BG engineer estolling the wonderful service of their employer :rolleyes:

What's blatently apparent is the BG ethics and quality of service varies enormously dependent on location. If any of us dare to question the companies business practice wer'e accused of lying/exagerating etc.

Are their any BG engineers in SE London that think the service is exemplary?

How about I give you the details (for you to resolve) of a customer thats now had about 8 visits to sort out a straightforward problem, 'cos I'm getting sick of going back to see if they've sorted it. :evil:

I've asked this before but no one wants to answer the question. Do individual engineers work on particular makes of boiler? To me this would be good business sense (more so nowdays). If so surely they must carry the most common spares on their vehicle.

The reason I ask is everytime customers call them out they never seem to have the parts. Always requires a couple of visits and invariably they discover another part is required (perhaps through mis-diagnosis) and so the cycle continues.

I can't see how any revenue is made on the repairs, hence the exorbitant installation side of the buisiness. ie they sign up customers making little money through repairs but knowing one day there's a good chance of screwing them on the new boiler job.

no its pot luck what boiler we'll get to work on and unless we are not qualified to work on it we cant really turn it down! eg alot of engineers on here dnt like the ideal response and wouldnt work on it if they could.. what i do is stock up on the parts which cause common or are problamtic faults such as thermisters flow-switch's pcb for the suprima etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back