The great Central heating challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
*** The great central heating challenge***

Step 1 - Boiler

Hello all,

Before I start I’d like to say hello to everyone, been reading the forum for awhile but this is my first post. My situation is that I have purchased my first property in Glasgow (FTB) and due to the current market used all my saving to get the 10% deposit.

The property is a purpose built cottage flat (upper) 2 bedrooms.
Now I move into the property in approx 1 month time.

Currently the property has an ancient back boiler system with a horrible fire front :oops:
So first port of call will be a new central heating system however the pennies are really tight… but I’m determined to go that extra mile and get a good system in (better in the long run) but on a budget :eek:

(I’m sure you can all cast your minds back to your first property and the little hidden costs that come with it)

Well anyway, as in the title the first part of my challenge is the boiler system. I am planning on doing a lot of research (to protect myself) and to source the parts to use as a comparison when getting quotes from fitters.

. Ok a question for all you nice people my research has fed me to the following…

Installing Combi so the water tank and immersion tank can go.

A rough guide would be possibly 5 radiators and a heated towel rail
Now I want a decent shower system (eventually)[ havent tested mains pressure yet but assuming all is good] so need flow rate to be above 10 (not using a pump as it’s a combi system) and a power output above the 19KW (not sure about this can’t work out a rough guide and I know I need to measure rooms, heat loss for accurate reading)..

Therefore came to either of the below boilers.

Valiant Ecotec plus 831 (due to flow rate 12.7 ** with built in pump** ) with the 29KW output being regulated to 23
Or

Alpha CD 28x (due to flow rate11.4) with the 28.6KW output being regulated to 23

all comments and tips and things to research would be welcome.

One week of research and I’ve learned about sealed & open systems.
Different manufactures - good the bad and the ugly
What the gas fitter must do for a solid install (flush the system etc..)

Step 2 – Flues …………..

Sponsored Links
The Ecotec Plus 831 only has a maximum output to heating of 24Kw anyway. Where did you get 29Kw from :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back