The killing fields of Indonesia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the radio tonight The US has recently de-classified documents from 1965 from there embassy in Indonesia.

there was a military coup in that country in 1965 that over threw a left wing Government (?)

they reckon that up to 2.5 million (?) people were executed in one year, peole that were deemed to be communists , leftists ect.

the scale of the killings and the time scale make it one of the worst cases of masse murder by any government/country on record

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1965, when US was fiercely fighting communism.
A top-secret CIA report stated that the massacres "rank as one of the worst mass murders of the 20th century, along with the Soviet purges of the 1930s, the Nazi mass murders during the Second World War, and the Maoist bloodbath of the early 1950s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_mass_killings_of_1965–1966
Let us not forget also the number of Vietnamese 'communists' killed during the Vietnam war:
Not until 1995 did Vietnam release its official estimate of war dead: as many as 2 million civilians on both sides and some 1.1 million North Vietnamese and Viet Cong fighters. The U.S. military has estimated that between 200,000 and 250,000 South Vietnamese soldiers died in the war.
https://www.britannica.com/event/Vietnam-War
That is 2,000,000 civilians and 1,100,000 North Vietnamese soldiers.

On the radio tonight The US has recently de-classified documents from 1965 from there embassy in Indonesia.

there was a military coup in that country in 1965 that over threw a left wing Government (?)

they reckon that up to 2.5 million (?) people were executed in one year, peole that were deemed to be communists , leftists ect.

the scale of the killings and the time scale make it one of the worst cases of masse murder by any government/country on record

Well by the views of some on here I am sure they would like to do something similar to the lefties and commies in this country!

There's a film about this that came out in 2012 and I think was banned in some countries called 'the act of killing' from Joshua Oppenheimer. It's a documentary film and has in it some of the sargents that were involved in the murders, and they are extremely disturbed people.

Sponsored Links
There's a film about this that came out in 2012 and I think was banned in some countries called 'the act of killing' from Joshua Oppenheimer. It's a documentary film and has in it some of the sargents that were involved in the murders, and they are extremely disturbed people.

yes he was talking on the radio about it . He has been banned from entering Indonesia since 2012.

yes he was talking on the radio about it . He has been banned from entering Indonesia since 2012.

I've seen it and it is eye opening but not that much on a Louis Theroux documentary. There is not much gore as such, but I guess it's the insight into those involved the government doesn't want shown, or talked about. You'll find similar types of film making from Vice on youtube, and that's all monetised.

2.5 million in one year though, does that sound reasonable to you? I doubt it was close to that figure, but horrific nonetheless.

:rolleyes: yes 2.5 mill in 1 year sounds excessive ?????? from what I can make of it . Some say 500.000 to 1 mill in a year ???????

They did say the scale/ numbers in a short time scale (1 year) makes it probably the worst case or one of the worst cases of masse murder on record ?

Sponsored Links
Back