The lift that never stops

They used to have a paternoster lift in the main co-op department store in Bristol 'til the 70s.

I go to Prague/Czech republic quite a lot and you see the odd one there. Poss wouldn't meet modern H&S regs here, but things are less strict in Central Europe.

They come from an age when people were trusted to look after themselves, instead of having overbearing politicians and numpties from the H&S industry to do it for us.

Yes they did. Fairfax House. Possibly the worst designed building in the World but the paternoster lifts were brill. I met the bloke who designed it years ago (Sam Wyatt) It used to make me smile because he was always keen to tell people that he was the architect that designed Fairfax House - and everybody used to say; if that was me I'd keep quiet about it.

Yes, that's the one. I always wanted to have a go in the lifts, but my mother was scared of them. :rolleyes:

Faifax house now long gone, demolished to make space for the Galleries. One monstrous carbuncle replacing another, as Prince Charlie would say.

Sponsored Links
They used to have a paternoster lift in the main co-op department store in Bristol 'til the 70s.

I go to Prague/Czech republic quite a lot and you see the odd one there. Poss wouldn't meet modern H&S regs here, but things are less strict in Central Europe.

They come from an age when people were trusted to look after themselves, instead of having overbearing politicians and numpties from the H&S industry to do it for us.

Yes they did. Fairfax House. Possibly the worst designed building in the World but the paternoster lifts were brill. I met the bloke who designed it years ago (Sam Wyatt) It used to make me smile because he was always keen to tell people that he was the architect that designed Fairfax House - and everybody used to say; if that was me I'd keep quiet about it.

Yes, that's the one. I always wanted to have a go in the lifts, but my mother was scared of them. :rolleyes:

Faifax house now long gone, demolished to make space for the Galleries. One monstrous carbuncle replacing another, as Prince Charlie would say.

SS i'm really saddend to read the quoted post, i think that is a horrid thing to say re. Charles, i thought you were above that, me personally liked Di, i think she was good for the country, as for the other trollop YES! she is a monstosity. :mrgreen:

I watched Brissel's Fairfax House well alight - mid 60's, it survived that.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back