The lift that never stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just seen this clip on youtube of a lift that never stops....with no doors :eek:

How the hell did that pass health and safety, for reasons too many to mention!!

Sponsored Links
You'd think when they came back round the people inside would be upside down or flat on their arrses :D

I just find it bizarre, great idea.....must have the best safety devices installed.

The wooden-tops that fitted the lifts in the debenhams in Doncaster should have thought of this. Two lifts that both serve the bus station on G, 1 and 2 are Debenhams, 3 and 4 are car park. Bloody chaos. Especially when at any point until the lift departs, someone can press the call button and the doors will re-open. You get a lot of people just jumping in the lift regardless of whether its going up or down - they'll ride to the top, then to the bottom to get to the bus station. And they usually have 2 prams etc and take up the entire lift so people in the car parks cannot get in and have to wait a long time to get an empty lift. They should have had one lift going up and one lift going down from Debenhams.

Anyway I digress, I assume the lifts in the video clip must eventually stop and reverse? Or are they on a cycle where they go round and round? That'd be a complex mechanism.

Sponsored Links
It's a paternoster lift, I beleive that there is one at Essex University and they used to be fairly common.

My grandparents used to work at teh Lucas factory in Birmingham and I believe there was one there.

I remember going on one of these when i was a nipper....was crapping myself, my dad had to carry me on. :LOL:

They used to have a paternoster lift in the main co-op department store in Bristol 'til the 70s.

I go to Prague/Czech republic quite a lot and you see the odd one there. Poss wouldn't meet modern H&S regs here, but things are less strict in Central Europe.

They come from an age when people were trusted to look after themselves, instead of having overbearing politicians and numpties from the H&S industry to do it for us.

What happens if someone faints, passes out, epilepic fit or just trips and falls over the access opening?
Are they cut in two?
Would like to throw a dummy in just to see or a plank of wood to mimic someone's leg.
That would make a much more interesting U tube clip.

Might make a good log chopper. :LOL:
Time to vacate the building I think if it did a lot of damage. :idea:
Hope they fitted a stairway!

Some good points norcon, i bet you could even clip your toe nails if they sharpened up the edges

Just seen this clip on youtube of a lift that never stops....with no doors :eek:

]
They had one in the BBC --- but it only went down - so with no doors you could see who was going down on .......... :mrgreen:

The Paternoster lift never 'flips' see from about 0:33 in this short vid.

-0-

They used to have a paternoster lift in the main co-op department store in Bristol 'til the 70s.

I go to Prague/Czech republic quite a lot and you see the odd one there. Poss wouldn't meet modern H&S regs here, but things are less strict in Central Europe.

They come from an age when people were trusted to look after themselves, instead of having overbearing politicians and numpties from the H&S industry to do it for us.

Yes they did. Fairfax House. Possibly the worst designed building in the World but the paternoster lifts were brill. I met the bloke who designed it years ago (Sam Wyatt) It used to make me smile because he was always keen to tell people that he was the architect that designed Fairfax House - and everybody used to say; if that was me I'd keep quiet about it.

Sponsored Links
Back