The "logic" of a client...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Admittedly, I was a bit tardy, contractually, from the off, but this occurred today:

The background is that, about six months ago, some contractors instructed me on a client's behalf to visit site, do a measure-up and design some steels. So I went along, did my bits and asked for the client's name and address, which the contractors couldn't remember offhand, so would email over.

They didn't, even after issuing the calcs and details - following which I forgot to get around to invoicing and chasing them for the details.

Anyhoo...finally, last week, I did and they provided names and advised that the punters had since moved into the house, so I sent a bill along.

Woman phones, no problem with paying the bill, but, seeing as I'd taken six months to invoice, she was not prepared to agree to my 7 day terms, as to do so would mean her losing interest on the money from a high interest account, due to insufficient notice on her part if she complied with my terms.

I pointed out that, had I actually invoiced right after completion, the money wouldn't have even been there to earn interest on; and that she was only going to lose 30 days' worth, so she was still gaining five months' worth of interest on it.

Not good enough, apparently and she is only going to pay some time after the end of the month...! As I say, I was tardy in sorting it out earlier, but even so, the logic of her approach is lost on me. It's not worth putting into small claims, as by the time that goes through the system, she'll have paid; or if it gets there before she pays, she won't pay anything until the last possible minute, I would assume.

No signed terms, no workee from now on, methinks :rolleyes:.

Sponsored Links
;)

Me thinks it's more the 'logic' of a business person not having its admin in order ;)

Shytalkz, do you know what commonly causes a profitable business to become insolvent?

Sponsored Links
Uhuh. Yes, it's not normally how I conduct my business, I hasten to add ;).

To be honest to keep the peace I'd let her pay after the end of the month - you've managed without the money for 5 months and it'll head off a row at the pass - besides which if you deal with it amicably on this basis it might generate more business for you via word of mouth etc.

Basically I'd say I understood her viewpoint and as you were late invoicing you will make an exception to the 7 day terms and will be happy to accept payment on a mutually agreed date.

I did and I have - and as long as she doesn't rip the píss after the end of the month, I'm none too bothered really. It was my own fault and tardiness that led to it in the first place. It was just the woman's logic that dumbfounded me!

Aye, take it like a man, as long as there is no pee taking later on!

I did and I have - and as long as she doesn't rip the píss after the end of the month, I'm none too bothered really. It was my own fault and tardiness that led to it in the first place. It was just the woman's logic that dumbfounded me!

Erm - isn't this a dichotomy or an old charter or something???

I thought women were meant to use intuition?

Being a "client" myself, if I'd contracted a job to be done & the contractor failed to provide he bill for a very long time, and then suddenly popped up & asked to be paid immediately I too would be telling them NO, you can damn well wait.

When someone arranges for work to be done, they have to budget for it, if they then find that the bill is not payable for another 6 months then to suddenly require payment totally screws with the budget.

IMO she is right to say that you will have to wait til the end of the month.

Good job your not billing my employers, they make everyone wait 3 months!

Of course the other side of this particular coin is,why didn't the punter get in touch to pay the bill sooner?

I mean its obvious that the OP forgot to bill but I bet the punter never forgot she had ordered the work.

Personally I think she has a cheek asking for more time,she's had six months afterall.

If you had taken so long to invoice, then whats wrong with waiting a few more days for the cheque? Not as if you need it is it? lol :p

Oh I'm quite happy to wait for her payment, it was her "justification" for delaying it and the fact that she had a go at me for not invoicing it earlier that was bemusing.

Sponsored Links
Back