The most geekiest thing you've ever done

vokera80e said:
i suppose i was a geek buying one of the first zx.spectrums

Pah. I started on the 80, and moved on to the 81. That was fun. I pleased myself trying to write programs in machine code which would run a half-decent game on the 1K offered.....

the 81 had a 16K add-on pack which crashed if you pressed the membrane 'pad too hard.....

And a b/w thermal printer. Eeeeh, them were't days.

Sponsored Links
lol ..lol...lol...I didnt know there was so many geeks like us here ....are you wearing a cardigan ?
if yes ... shoot yourself now ....

Don't knock the Ataris - first on board Midi interfaces. Made me a heap of cash in the days when everyone were hugging each other and saying"what's your name and where are you from". Pre crack Halcyon days................. lol.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
vokera80e said:
yep...thats the baby.
there's been wasps making their nest's around it.(they get in through the air vents)..one day i might dust it down and put it fleebay..

I sold an Amiga 600 with the extra 512 Mb (WOW!) RAM card on ebay. Some guy in Finland sent me about £120 in cash.

512 Meg ?? you sure ?? It could only take 32 Mb of RAM, I think you mean K

Eddie M said:
notb665 said:
vokera80e said:
yep...thats the baby.
there's been wasps making their nest's around it.(they get in through the air vents)..one day i might dust it down and put it fleebay..

I sold an Amiga 600 with the extra 512 Mb (WOW!) RAM card on ebay. Some guy in Finland sent me about £120 in cash.

512 Meg ?? you sure ?? It could only take 32 Mb of RAM, I think you mean K

Yeah probably. lol. It was a long time ago. I'm not so geeky now, I think.

I also once made an electronic circuit that had probes trailing to an outside window sill. When it started to rain an alarm went off and my Mum knew to bring the washing in (if she didn't notice the rain first, obviously. I was only 10 or something).

notb665 said:
I also once made an electronic circuit that had probes trailing to an outside window sill. When it started to rain an alarm went off and my Mum knew to bring the washing in (if she didn't notice the rain first, obviously. I was only 10 or something).
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: snap!

It never worked properly though :(

My first computer was a spectrum 128k +2a - built-in tape deck, woohoo!
Then an Atari 1040STe, then into PCs in about 1995 with a 486 DX33!

Lots of interesting stuff on old machines here:
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/default.asp

As for geeky things, I did turn down some nice houses whilst looking for my current place purely because my mobile didn't have a good enough signal and/or the broadband I wanted wasn't available - does that count?

This week??
Just driven for 55 mins with air-con on (as always!) temp control set max cold... Upon return to base, using two 12" Gallenkamp Griffin mercury thermometers I found :-
Out side of car shaded free air, temperature of 22°C ... Unshaded 25°C
Air discharge at face vent in car 8°C in car humidity 50%.

7yrs and near 70k miles past the car salesman said, "It has been my experience that having the air-con 'switched on' all times gives least system problems .. at a minimal cost.."
I have followed that advice winter / summer. My diy a/c service comprised one pollen filter vacuuming and a whole can of Dettol Disinfectant spray discharged throughout the ducting and airwashed internal paraphernalia a year or so ago -- I am happy with the performance of the air-con... No annoying, lingering smells, can just whiff the Dettol 'Spring Waterfall' on occasion, even now.
Fuel cost of running air-con approx £488 or £0.19 per day. @ 2 mpg
Cheap as chips !! ... and that was geeky !
;)

notb665 said:
What is your most geekiest moment?
Remembering this thread from a few days ago and thinking it might be the most appropriate place for my 1000th post?

:idea: ;) :LOL:

ninebob said:
notb665 said:
Remembering this thread from a few days ago and thinking it might be the most appropriate place for my 1000th post?

Supergeekdom, saving up your 1000th for the right moment. :D :D

ninebob said:
notb665 said:

Nice one, 9!

However, I've changed my mind about the Sinclairs.

My most geekiest moment, not, is correcting your grammar!

It should be, "My most geeky moment" or "My geekiest moment". :LOL:

I play with PIC microcontrollers and electronics as a hobby

ended up (well still not finished yet) developing a system for controlling christmas lighting displays from a computer and releaseing the design for free on the web (most of the other systems that exist are commerical products, albeit small volume, which means they are quite expensive)

am I doomed :oops: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back