The New Brexit deal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TM has revealed parts of the new plan for a new Brexit arrangement:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44719576

To draw an analogy, it goes something like this:
Suppose there is a club for traders, traders have to pay to join the club but there are benefits such as traders insurance, backing and resources of a large group of traders, range of charging rates applied, some degree of exchange of personel, etc.

Traci Mason (we will call her TM for this analogy), TM wants to be in the club, but not pay the membership. She agrees to charge the same rates as those in the club, when it suits her, and to apply the same rules, when it suits her. She does not want to pay to join the club, and does not agree to be bound by the rules of the club, but wants the advantages.

Should we agree to her terms and allow her to be in the club, for free?
What then of the other members who want the same type of membership? How will the club administer its affairs? Who will pay for the club's existence?

It beggars belief that TM would even consider that it was a viable option, especially as 'the club' had previously told TM that a similar suggestion was technically unworkable!

Even David Davis has told TM that EU will shoot it down.
upload_2018-7-5_9-54-15.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-44719785

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What a surprise.

I wonder why nobody thought of that two and a half years ago.

Oh yes

They did.

What if all the traders ****ed the club off and carried on as they were?

Sponsored Links
They could still trade without the club, direct.

If TM thought the membership was good value for money then I'm sure she would be happy to pay.

They could still trade without the club, direct.
But without the advantages of being in the club, which TM wants to keep.

If TM thought the membership was good value for money then I'm sure she would be happy to pay.
She personally might think it is worth being in the club and paying, but her partners are ideologically insisting she negotiate a better arrangement, even though there may not be one. If she does not agree to their demands she might find herself demoted.
The idea only arose through boardroom disputes.

She personally might think it is worth being in the club and paying, but her partners are ideologically insisting she negotiate a better arrangement, even though there may not be one. If she does not agree to their demands she might find herself demoted.

She should have tried harder to educate her partners before they decided to leave the club.

She might as well demote herself and let one of her partners who think it's not worth being in the club take over.

She should have tried harder to educate her partners before they decided to leave the club.
She was too busy sacking people who should not have been sacked. (We are still talking about the Tracie Mason in the analogy, are we not?)
In fact some of those sacked by mistake have claimed compensation.
And there was a bit of a stink about it!

She might as well demote herself and let one of her partners who think it's not worth being in the club take over.
Good answer! I wonder what would happen then. :eek:o_O
I gather she considers herself the only one that can steer a center (read 'fudged') path.

She needed help, let's say TM is a blue and a guy she knows, called JC, is a red. They both have lots of partners who listen to them and follow them.

Could he have helped? What was his opinion on the club membership?

She needed help, let's say TM is a blue and a guy she knows, called JC, is a red. They both have lots of partners who listen to them and follow them.

Could he have helped?
No! he operates another organisation! They have been in competition since the year dot.

What was his opinion on the club membership?
He cannot quite make up his mind despite his workers spelling it out for him.
His workers were going to have a vote about it, but I have not heard how that went.
I just looked it up:
"Poll of Unite union members piles pressure on Corbyn
Ahead of super-union’s conference, majority of members oppose leaving single market and back a people’s vote" https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/30/unite-union-brexit-poll-corbyn-labour
I wonder what JC will do now.

I think we are after non-exclusive associate membership of the club, for a fee. Rather than full membership which prevents us joining other clubs.

I think we are after non-exclusive associate membership of the club, for a fee. Rather than full membership which prevents us joining other clubs.
That's not what brexiteers wanted though, was it?

Although of course they knew exactly what they voting for, didn't they?

The club has certain options for non-members.

Poor Tracy's buddies reject all of them, and have the fanciful notion that they are somehow entitled to get something that is not available.

Tracy's buddies have taken great care to avoid saying which option they were going for, although some promised non-available options. In some cases this may have been a cunning ploy to trick the gullible, but recent experience suggests ignorance and stupidity were greater factors. Some people object to being called ignorant and stupid, and prefer to be thought deceitful.

Sponsored Links
Back