The NHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am professing to be an expert on this as I have never worked for the NHS, but...

I believe there is such a thing as an honary contract for people who are not being paid. I would imagine this would in the main cover people such as WRVS, voluntary car drivers, people who "just lend an ear" etc, to patients who would otherwise get no visitors.

There are probably thousands of people who work without pay in hospitals, no doubt the honary contract is to cover them(and the hospital) if someone found reason to claim for something.

Some areas of the NHS(or certainly the patients therein) are probably dependant, to a degree, on this public goodwill.

Over too you JulieL/B for a bit of inside info. please :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Voluntary workers are specifically are specifically covered by the hospitals public liability insurance. Unpaid staff are not. Neither are they covered by workers compensation if they are injured. Neither would their union allow this to be the case.

joe

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
It's simple mate.
It really isn't (and I'm really not your "mate").

joe-90 said:
If you are not in the pay of your employee - then you are trespassing.
Again - what is the law that makes this so?

joe-90 said:
The laws of trespass make it so.

joe-90 said:
This is the case when railway signalmen hang around to talk to their shift relief - they are ordered off the premises.
I can easily imagine a good reason for this, which is that they would be distracting their colleagues from focussing on their job, and thereby endangering lives. Nothing whatsoever to do with trespass.

joe-90 said:
If they cause an accident by helping out pulling levers - then if someone dies they are charged with manslaughter. The Quintinshill case proved this.
Are you able to explain how that case "proved" such a thing?

I worked on the railways in Australia many years ago and that was the way things were.

joe

joe-90 said:
Softus said:
joe-90 said:
If you are not in the pay of your employee - then you are trespassing.
Again - what is the law that makes this so?
The laws of trespass make it so.
That doesn't say very much. I can't find anything that substantiates your statement, so I'd be grateful if you'd provide a reference to a statute or a case that does. It my help you to bear in mind that trespass is a tort.

joe-90 said:
Softus said:
joe-90 said:
If they cause an accident by helping out pulling levers - then if someone dies they are charged with manslaughter. The Quintinshill case proved this.
Are you able to explain how that case "proved" such a thing?

I worked on the railways in Australia many years ago and that was the way things were.
Whilst Australian Law was originally based on English Law, it developed independently and isn't the same thing anymore.

You're making statements as though you know what the law is, but you don't actually seem to know what the law is, in this context.

joe-90 said:
Voluntary workers are specifically are specifically covered by the hospitals public liability insurance. Unpaid staff are not. Neither are they covered by workers compensation if they are injured. Neither would their union allow this to be the case.
Similarly, do you know under what English Law statute(s) these statements are true?

Sponsored Links
I don't need to know the English law stute number. The bottom line is that if you are not in paid employment then you are in liable (personally) for any harm you cause. If you are injured you are not covered by workers comp. If the union find out - you're out of a job.

joe

joe-90 said:
I don't need to know the English law stute number.
Statute, actually.

I agree that you don't need to know anything about the law to make incorrect statements about it. Your knowledge seems to be based on another country's legislation, and is very wrong in the context of the UK.

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
I don't need to know the English law stute number.
Statute, actually.

I agree that you don't need to know anything about the law to make incorrect statements about it. Your knowledge seems to be based on another country's legislation, and is very wrong in the context of the UK.

Stop avoiding the questions I've asked of you.

If an employee is off duty and injures someone because they chose to continue working in an unofficial capacity - who is liable?

If the employee is injured doing work that is not authorised by their employer are they covered by workers compo?

Would the Unions allow workers to work without pay?

Well?

joe

joe-90 said:
Stop avoiding the questions I've asked of you.

joe

Actually Joe, it was Softus who was asking you the questions, and it's you thats avoided answering

So c'mon Joe, why don't you answer him?

He can't :rolleyes:

He won't :rolleyes:

Julie

I'm not a lawyer. I don't know what the law states. However, common sense means that I am right and you know that I am right.

Now you anwer the questions I asked Softus.

joe

joe-90 said:
I'm not a lawyer.
That much is obvious.

joe-90 said:
I don't know what the law states.
But you professed to know!

joe-90 said:
However, common sense means that I am right and you know that I am right.
Employment law, negligence, vicarious liability, and the tort of trespass are all areas where the use of common sense often does not dictate the outcome. (Common Law does, however ;).)

Far from knowing that you're right, knowing something about these above subjects is how I know that you're wrong.

joe-90 said:
Now you anwer the questions I asked Softus.
No.

Teaching you about English Law would take more time and patience than I have at my disposal. There are plenty of books, courses and professional tutors around, and I'm sure that you'd find someone who would undertake the task of educating you without feeling the need to kill themselves.

What I might be able to do, when I have a moment, is list those of your statements, from earlier on this topic, which are grossly wrong and which therefore constitute bad advice given to the OP and to the public at large. I don't have time this morning, so for now it would be prudent for anyone reading this to assume that you were wrong, according to the legislation and according to Common Law, on every single point that you made.

joe-90 said:
I'm not a lawyer. I don't know what the law states. However, common sense means that I am right and you know that I am right.

joe

It's not good enough to say that you are right just cause you think you are right! :rolleyes:
You should be able to back up your comments with research based evidence or reference of law otherwise it's not acceptable - you don't ever do this Joe - you would earn more respect and be listened to if you provided the supporting evidence............otherwise you just look stupid

Produce the evidence to support your statements

Geddit yet?

He won't

As far as I can glean from the internet ,it seems that a nurse in the UK works on average 6.5 hours a week unpaid :eek:

JulieL/B said:
joe-90 said:

joe

It's not good enough to say that you are right just cause you think you are right! :rolleyes:
You should be able to back up your comments with research based evidence or reference of law otherwise it's not acceptable - you don't ever do this Joe - you would earn more respect and be listened to if you provided the supporting evidence............otherwise you just look stupid

Produce the evidence to support your statements

Geddit yet?

He won't

Answer these Julie. (she won't/can't)

If an employee is off duty and injures someone because they chose to continue working in an unofficial capacity - who is liable?

If the employee is injured doing work that is not authorised by their employer are they covered by workers compo?

Would the Unions allow workers to work without pay?

Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back