The other week's blackout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came across this interesting analysis of the blackout. I don't recall having seen any discussion of the event in here so far ...

... Little Barford power station tripping at 16:52 when its declared maximum output ... dropped from 664MW to 0MW. ... Almost instantaneously, the Hornsea One wind farm (units 2 and 3) tripped, dropping its output from 756MW to 0MW, increasing the severity of the event.

So a loss of near 1½GW - not an insignificant loss of supply. From other news reports, it seems there was a lightning strike that caused Little Barford to trip - but it also triggered systems at Hornsea One which caused that to trip.

There then follows quite an interesting discussion of what happened next. The level of renewables (and interconnects) get a mention, specifically regarding their asynchronous nature. Big synchronous machines have a fair bit of mass spinning round and this helps support the grid over transients - but the level of that has been falling. It does say that the amount they had at the time "should" have been sufficient according to National Grid's previous statements.

A significant secondary effect is fingered as making the problem worse - significant amounts of embedded generation tripping as the frequency dropped quickly.
One other factor that may have added to the problem and explain the secondary drop in frequency is small embedded generators also tripping because of the sudden initial drop-in frequency. These changes have been an ongoing issue for several years with Ofgem continuing its work to make embedded generation more resilient to changing frequency events with a modification[1] being approved at the start of August. This will make embedded generation units below 5MW more resilient to Rate of Change of Frequency (RoCoF) events in the future.

I know we've had one or two discussions in here about how inverters detect loss of grid. It would appear that many of them interpreted the rapid drop in frequency as loss of grid and tripped out. It seems that this has been the subject of some work already and they are already widening the tolerances. That's fine for new kit, but I can't help thinking that few installations will get software upgrades - and given that FITs have beens scrapped for new solar PV, I think that future installs (with the relaxed tolerances) will take some time to become dominant.

The farcical situations with the trains gets a mention.
Questions also need to be asked of the non-energy sector as to why, for example, railways, took several hours to restore power ...
It seems a serious design issue if trains need an engineer to switch them back on. You'd think that power disconnections would be fairly common - eg pulling into sidings and dropping the collector pantograph/lifting the pickup shoes to disconnect from the supply while parked. I've been on a train where they were having problems, and the supervisor told us they were going to "switch it off and on again" so we didn't panic when the lights went off - obviously some trains had a different design brief :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, there's also mention of "smart grids" allowing more targeted disconnections. I guess this is aimed at the "tell millions of smart meters to disconnect now" scenario. I do have to wonder at the practicality of this in terms of communications. It's one heck of a lot of messages to spit out over a limited communications link - and whatever systems are in place to signal the need, authenticate the requirement, and then generate the messages.

I know we've had one or two discussions in here about how inverters detect loss of grid. It would appear that many of them interpreted the rapid drop in frequency as loss of grid and tripped out. ...
Have you seen any information about the magnitude of the drop in frequency?

As you probably realise, what I'm thinking is that it may make more sense for the inverters to simply sense frequency, rather than rate of change thereof - since, even for very small changes in frequency, the rate of change could be very high in the event of the sudden loss of generation (or load), such as recently happened.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Have you seen any information about the magnitude of the drop in frequency?

freq_9Aug2019.png

Data available here: https://bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=demand/rollingsystemfreq/historic

The farcical situations with the trains gets a mention.
Questions also need to be asked of the non-energy sector as to why, for example, railways, took several hours to restore power ...
It seems a serious design issue if trains need an engineer to switch them back on. You'd think that power disconnections would be fairly common - eg pulling into sidings and dropping the collector pantograph/lifting the pickup shoes to disconnect from the supply while parked. I've been on a train where they were having problems, and the supervisor told us they were going to "switch it off and on again" so we didn't panic when the lights went off - obviously some trains had a different design brief :whistle:
As you say trains see power interruptions all the time, so it must have been something more than mere interruptions. From what I can gather it only directly affected the class 700s (though many other trains were affected indirectly by being stuck behind them) and only the ones that were on AC lines.

The speculation over on railforums is that the power conversion electronics in the trains misintepreted the grid frequency deviations as a fault, perhaps not terribly dissimilar to the scenario with distributed generation dropping out.

It's interesting to see the secondary event on the frequency graph. It looks a lot like the embedded generation was tripping as the frequency recovered. So the inverters stayed online as the frequency fell, then tripped as it was coming back up.

It's got me thinking about how complex the grid must be to manage these days. I assume at any onevtime there'll be a lead generator (something agile such as a gas turbine) tasked with following frequency/voltage changes and reacting accordingly. But then you've got all these other systems configured to do stuff (usually switch off) when "some condition" happens. Perhaps one day we'll have a really big event where stuff is happening faster than the control room can react.
Though I doubt we've enough automatic load shedding yet to get into a "generator trip, load shed, generator trip, load shed, ..." cascade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back