The Pope

Now you're generalising. I was talking about R.C. as in the rule-makes, not the believers.

Sponsored Links
They committed the biggest genocide ever in South Americas

If you're talking numbers then you might be right but the biggest ever genocide percentage-wise must be down to God himself. It's all there in black and white in the bible. If you haven't got one (or can't be bothered to read the whole thing) just type Great Flood into Dogpile.

But I prefer to let bygones be bygones. The catholic church is not proud of its grizzly past and the C of E wasn't exactly founded for the best of reasons either. Between them they were the cause of more wars than I can remember but nowadays they probably do more good than harm. I'm not a catholic - I'm not even a Christian - but while not agreeing with everything John Paul said (a luxury denied to catholics) I still count him as one of the good guys.

felix said:
They committed the biggest genocide ever in South Americas

If you're talking numbers then you might be right but the biggest ever genocide percentage-wise must be down to God himself. It's all there in black and white in the bible. If you haven't got one (or can't be bothered to read the whole thing) just type Great Flood into Dogpile.

But I prefer to let bygones be bygones. The catholic church is not proud of its grizzly past and the C of E wasn't exactly founded for the best of reasons either. Between them they were the cause of more wars than I can remember but nowadays they probably do more good than harm. I'm not a catholic - I'm not even a Christian - but while not agreeing with everything John Paul said (a luxury denied to catholics) I still count him as one of the good guys.
Terrible

Felix i live in Ireland where week after week there is reverlations as to what these filthy b*****d have been up to.

At first glance I thought you meant the IRA/UDA but I think you are referring to a relatively small number of priests who have misused their power to suit their own ends. Yes, there are a few bad priests out there, just as there are a few bad policemen and many, many more bad politicians. I'm not asking anybody to forgive them - even if Jesus would have done - but I'm also not going to blame every priest, bishop and pope for the undoubted sins of some of their predecessors.

Neither is our own history squeaky clean: Richard III, Henry VIII, Bloody Mary, Cromwell, the slave trade, the Boer war. Sometimes the past is better forgotten except to make a point of not repeating the same mistakes. Must go. I just saw a pig go overhead ---

PS: I see the automatic swear word detector has taken offence at Mary Tudor. Forgot about that one.

Sponsored Links
It is easy to point out where human weakness has failed to live up to the ideal. But it is grossly insulting to Christianity, and indeed to faiths in general, to blame all the evils and inequities of the world on religion.
It is also sublimely ignorant.

Panjandrum said:
It is easy to point out where human weakness has failed to live up to the ideal. But it is grossly insulting to Christianity, and indeed to faiths in general, to blame all the evils and inequities of the world on religion.
It is also sublimely ignorant.

I dont believe anybody has done that, and i am certainly not ignorant.

What i did was point out facts of what went on where i now live which appear in the paper on a daily to weekly basis and certainly not made up, but victims of the same faith coming forward 10-20-30-40-50-60- years down the line.

I think to brush it aside and scoff at those who mention which are really nothing but atrocities commited by those who are/were representatives of your god, is not only insulting but aiding and abetting a vile and criminal act which repulses everybody and by some is the worse crime

Sorry Freddie - I was not intending to gloss over in any way the kind of abuse you are referring to - or any other abuse of situations of power. I am too close to that.
But I was trying to make the point that this is not a characteristic of Christianity or of faiths in general, but a characteristic of human frailty and its abuse of positions of influence and power - whether that be associated with religion or otherwise.
And I was also hoping to encourage the thought that "The Church" has been instrumental in very much that is good and positive throughout the world.

Point taken, its not the church but the pervs that operate in there, you will always find bad apples in any bunch of bananas if you know what i mean

Are we to take it then that all popes including john paul II have been guilty of crimes against mankind or is this a past history lesson?
if so what relevance does it have on modern popes?

kendor said:
Are we to take it then that all popes including john paul II have been guilty of crimes against mankind or is this a past history lesson?
if so what relevance does it have on modern popes?

Well it depends on whether you think it is right or wrong to tell your followers not to use Durex which stops them catching a deadly disease, i suppose you will have to wait and see what the new Pope has to say on the matter

That is the biggest blunder I think the pope made.

Why people didn't sit down and think about it, and realise that they were being given instructions for sex by a guy who had taken a vow of abstinence...

The reason you get more child abuse in the Catholic church than in the Church of England is because of the abstinence: if a CofE vicar so wishes, he can get married and boink to his heart's content. But a Catholic priest has years and years and YEARS of built-up frustration in him.

So, my advice to the next Pope is to stand up and say "Right, all you AIDS-ridden African and Asian lorry drivers, strap on a johnny. All you priests, for chrissakes get married, have some poontang and hopefully we can shed the reputation that you all fiddle with the choir."

Freddie said:
Well it depends on whether you think it is right or wrong to tell your followers not to use Durex which stops them catching a deadly disease, i suppose you will have to wait and see what the new Pope has to say on the matter
has any catholic that's decided to use a condom been ostriscised?
Like most faiths, if you want to live exactly by their rules you do so or live by some but no one is forcing you to have unsafe sex.
besides how would they know if you did? ;)

kendor said:
Freddie said:
has any catholic that's decided to use a condom been ostriscised?
Like most faiths, if you want to live exactly by their rules you do so or live by some but no one is forcing you to have unsafe sex.
besides how would they know if you did? ;)

He will know because he is always watching out for naughty people, and when you get to those pearly gates and St Peter tells you to sod off, you can join me and the lads down in hell with some of the filthiest dirty women you have ever known, and by the way its your round :LOL:

But I was trying to make the point that this is not a characteristic of Christianity or of faiths in general, but a characteristic of human frailty and its abuse of positions of influence and power - whether that be associated with religion or otherwise.

Or to put it more simply, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Spot on there from Panjandrum. I think Jesus would turn in his grave (sorry Christians, Jesus was a great man but I can't quite accept the resurrection bit) if he knew half the atrocities that have been committed in his name.

It wasn't just scum calling themselves catholics either, though they did have a good head start. What the so called catholic Spaniards did in South America the so called protestant British repeated in North America.

It has always been far too easy for corrupt leaders to turn the power of religion to their advantage. How convenient it is to be able to say "Do what I tell you or you'll spend eternity IN HELL". With this kind of political clout up for grabs it's easy to see how the crime of blasphemy came into being. I ask you. Does a supernatural entity with the power to create a whole universe really need protection from our pathetic insults? I think not! Tyrants down through the ages have gone through the bible and the koran picking out whatever suited their needs and ignoring the rest. Zionists, islamists (who dreamt that one up) and white supremacists are still at it. The US Republican party has done well out of what I can best describe as Christian fundamentalists. I have no time for any of them.

Did John Paul try to ban condoms to suit his own ends? It's hard to see how he would gain much except revenge. "I can't have free sex so you're not getting it either". I can't quite see this being a deliberate act but it could have been a subconscious one. It was doomed to fail anyway. Every attempt to suppress human sexuality with threats ranging from AIDS to execution has always failed. If any had succeeded we would be extinct. All future popes take note; you are flogging a very, very dead horse!

PS:
filthiest dirty women

Sorry Freddie but I cannot accept your inference that women who grew up with their sexuality intact are either filthy or dirty. On the contrary, they're great!

Sponsored Links
Back