The Returned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody started this on Netflix?

Got an email promoting it and as I am in hospital I thought I would give it a whirl.

Search for The Returned and you get 3 links. One is a film in French. There is a series, so I watched the first one. Looks like a North American or Canadian production. In English. But play the rest and it's in French with what looks like a different cast.

I is well confused!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the warning. I don't mind subs, but the program has to be good for me to bother.
That sounds weird!
I enjoyed Lilyhammer, but it never quite decided whether it was in English or Norwegian. :)

I don't like subtitles either, as I tend to 'multitask' (no, men can do it too), using my laptop whilst watching TV.

Having said that, the new 'Hostages' series is very good despite being in Israeli with English subtitles. I would rather they had dubbed English dialogue over it, though. I suppose that would have cost more money!

Same here as far as the multitasking goes. If the program has subs you suddenly realise that you haven't got a clue what's going on because you've been reading something on the net! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Yes. I always record programmes that I intend to watch, so that:

I can skip through the adverts; and

I can rewind a bit if I have missed something.

(The latter one really annoys my first wife.)

Sometimes I think subtitles can actually aid a film . Try watching a film like Downfall in it's original German and then watch The Bunker which was filmed in English . Both good films and they both cover the same subject , that of Hitler's last few weeks in Berlin , but to hear it in German adds something even if it forces the viewer to read for two hours. Similarly a programme like Wallander sounds better in Swedish although that maybe because of the poor imitation of the English remake.

Sometimes I think subtitles can actually aid a film . Try watching a film like Downfall in it's original German and then watch The Bunker which was filmed in English . Both good films and they both cover the same subject , that of Hitler's last few weeks in Berlin , but to hear it in German adds something even if it forces the viewer to read for two hours. Similarly a programme like Wallander sounds better in Swedish although that maybe because of the poor imitation of the English remake.

I watched 'The Killing' and 'The Bridge'with subtitles and didn't find it detracted but agree you need to pause

when multitasking !

The other good thing about sub titles is that it is possible to watch a film in half the time , if you don't mind it becoming silent ;)

The other good thing about sub titles is that it is possible to watch a film in half the time , if you don't mind it becoming silent ;)
Generally if I want a film to be over that quick I use the stop button! :)
You ever get those films that you're not really enjoying that much, but you sort of keep watching to see what happens?

A very useful feature, if you're pressed for time, is the "x1.3 play button" (which runs the programme at 1.3 times the normal speed, believe it or not!). It works reasonably well, too, and the sound remains at normal pitch rather than sounding like 'Pinky and Perky'.

Anybody started this on Netflix?

Got an email promoting it and as I am in hospital I thought I would give it a whirl.

Search for The Returned and you get 3 links. One is a film in French. There is a series, so I watched the first one. Looks like a North American or Canadian production. In English. But play the rest and it's in French with what looks like a different cast.

I is well confused!

I've just started watching it after seeing a trailer showing that the whole series was being shown in one night on a US TV station (where I live nowadays). I ended up as confused as you because, after seeing the trailer in English, I searched the tv guide and set the series to record but, when we went to watch it a few days ago, it too was in French. :confused: Another tv guide search then showed us that it is also being shown in English on another channel, although only one episode at a time.

It seems that the original and second series was French, made in 2012, and has been shown in a number of countries but a new English language adaptation has recently been made by US TV station A&E and only started airing last week. This is why you were only able to see the first episode in English and so I suspect Netflix is also showing the original series alongside it which is why all episodes of the French version are available for you. Maybe Netflix will be adding each new English episode as soon as it is aired here in the US??

The opening scenes of the French version showed a coach driving down the mountain but the new English version shows a typical American school bus. Now I'm just waiting to see if episode 2 will be in English!!! :LOL:

I have also discovered that subtitles are really useful when watching anything starring Ben Affleck.

Sponsored Links
Back