The right to die.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17336774

We've all seen the clip on the news -so how can anyone argue against the right to end a life if that's what the patient wants? They could rig something up so that when he reads a certain written permission he is euthanised automatically when his eye tracker reaches the end. Does anyone disagree?

Sponsored Links
No .... I don't disagree Joe...I think it is as much a human right to choose to die as it is to make any other decision in life.
If there is no quality of life left and the person has made that decision while they have a 'sound mind' then they should be allowed the dignity of dying in a safe controlled way.

One problem though is what happens to that life insurance policy they took out when they were healthy to make life easier for their partner, off spring, friend or charity ? It could be 10's of thousands of pounds going down the pan after years and years of payments.
I know people who have indicated to me, due to the state they're in, that they would be glad when it's all over. Sad, but their lives are pretty miserable.

Interesting approach joe are you considering it? :LOL: I could build you a kit if you want ;)

Against my better judgment, I'l venture into General once more as I feel quiet strongly about this; in answer to your post, yes I fully agree with the right for anyone of sound mind to chose when they want to die. Seen the previous TV docu on him & I couldn’t put up with what that poor soul has to bear.

Sponsored Links
wreckedit is right of course. Insurance companies wouldn't pay out on any life policy, if the policy holder either took their own life, or decided that a doctor could take it at a time of their choosing.
The big danger however is where someone makes that decision while they have "capacity", then lose the mental capacity to make further decisions.
Hypothetically, what if they are deemed to not have capacity and yet state that they don't want to die? (already having made an earlier decision years before, like a living will), If that person had a few bob put aside, then greedy relatives could possibly be motivated to bring about the end of that persons life. (sooner rather than later)

Insurance companies will do as they are told. What difference does it make if the dying die a few months earlier? When a person is declared terminal by a doctor - then from that point on insurance would pay out. In fact, no post mortem is carried out on terminal patients - nothing to do with insurance companies. They die and go to the morgue.

I think post mortems are not carried out if the person has been in hospital for longer than 13 days Joe (although I could be wrong) I know when my mum died (terminal cancer diagnosed at least 18 months earlier) she had a PM done as she'd only been hospitalised the same day. (although she had been in and out of hospital in those 18 months and would have been a "hospital PM" rather than one ordered by a coroners court))

I think post mortems are not carried out if the person has been in hospital for longer than 13 days Joe (although I could be wrong) I know when my mum died (terminal cancer diagnosed at least 18 months earlier) she had a PM done as she'd only been hospitalised the same day. (although she had been in and out of hospital in those 18 months and would have been a "hospital PM" rather than one ordered by a coroners court))

The GF dad died of cancer a year ago. I was the first to go round, about 20 minutes after he died. We called the GP who came out and signed a death certificate after listening for a heartbeat. She said to call the undertaker who then removed the body. All sorted in 2 hours. Buried about a week later. No post mortem. We could have poisoned him for all they knew.

Fook the insurance, would not let anyone in my family suffer like that, money shouldn't come into it.

Yes you are right. But in these cases if some of the insurance could be paid out it would a comfort for the dying partner that the other or child 'would be taken care of'.

I have seen this couple before and Jane is a real living Angel and Tony is very courageous. I just hope they get their way.

Haven't watched the link yet but have my views on this subject.
Anyone diagnosed with a terminal illness should have the right to decide if/when they want to die. I would not like to be kept in a vegatitive state if I had no control over my mind or body. Why should the taxpayer have to pay people to keep me in a state that there is no recovery from?
Regarding PM's, my mum died about 14 years ago. Just 'fell asleep' in her chair. Ambulance was called but she was already dead. Hospital checked her medical history and learnt she had suffered with her chest for years. No PM carried out if we didn't want one, which we didn't. Similar with Dad about 8 years ago. Taken in to hospital on Saturday afternoon with severe stomach pains. Tests done, pain relief given and on Monday we were told her had secondary cancers in his liver, (no operations just scans, x-rays etc). Died on Tuesday and again, no PM if we didn't want one.

Regarding PM's, my mum died about 14 years ago. Just 'fell asleep' in her chair. Ambulance was called but she was already dead. Hospital checked her medical history and learnt she had suffered with her chest for years. No PM carried out if we didn't want one, which we didn't.

my mum died at home in her sleep and they did one...maybe we were asked but were just confused at the time....
I think that its a wonderful way to go....no human being should be made to endure prolonged suffering when its obviously against their will, it barbaric.
Along with wreckedit I hope they get what they want.

Not looked at the link.

Father had motor neurone disease and wasted away. Brain fully functional, body not moving and said he wanted me to kill him. ( Ever had to put your father in nappies and wipe his backside?)
I was going to but he died the night after begging me after 5 years of almost vegitive state.

Saved me the guilt. Or did it?
Should have done what he asked a bit earlier, saved us both the heartache.

You should have the right to choose AND not affect the insurance.
You pay them for when you die, as long as it is not suicide there should be no issue.

My view anyway, and I feel for others going through what I did.

Respect to those that stick to it, no matter how sad it makes you feel.

Sponsored Links
Back