The right to die.

Alarm, that must have been heartbreaking/despairing/hell for both of you and there needs to be alternatives for people in these situations. I was once in touch with a woman who had Cerebella Ataxia, where the brain cells rapidly die off but affect the bodies movements without diminishing their mental capabilities. It was not a painful ordeal, rather a frustrating one for her, as she could fully understand what was happening but nothing could be done to halt the process. She was very inspirational to me in that I try to make the most of life instead of moaning about the little aches and pains we all get from time to time.
Regarding insurance, you will probably find that once diagnosed as terminal, most insurances now pay out rather than waiting till the end.

Sponsored Links
For anyone who finds life unbearable to have the right to euthanasia would require a change in the law in this country. For a number of reasons (some better than others), I doubt we will ever see that change. MPs seem to feel that we have the balance about right on assisted suicide. It does however seem anomalous that a would-be suicide who is capable of lifting a glass to his lips and swallowing barbituates may seek help in ending his life (albeit in a Swiss clinic), whereas someone physically incapable of doing that is not allowed to seek help. His desperation is surely the same.

What this couple have secured is the right to have their case heard in the High Court, where a judge will rule on whether their claim that a doctor should be able legally to kill Tony on grounds of 'necessity' (i.e. it is the only possible course of action which will end his suffering), is justified.

How that term is interpreted (as I understand the case) will be crucial.

Fook the insurance, would not let anyone in my family suffer like that, money shouldn't come into it.

Yes you are right. But in these cases if some of the insurance could be paid out it would a comfort for the dying partner that the other or child 'would be taken care of'.

I have seen this couple before and Jane is a real living Angel and Tony is very courageous. I just hope they get their way.

I understand what your saying and agree with you, but i can't afford ANY insurance at all, but that's all people are talking about bar the last post. :rolleyes:

I understand what your saying and agree with you, but i can't afford ANY insurance at all, but that's all people are talking about bar the last post. :rolleyes:

So are you expecting your children to pay for your funeral and also leave them nothing?
It is an expense, but one worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
Alarm, that must have been heartbreaking/despairing/hell for both of you and there needs to be alternatives for people in these situations. I was once in touch with a woman who had Cerebella Ataxia, where the brain cells rapidly die off but affect the bodies movements without diminishing their mental capabilities. It was not a painful ordeal, rather a frustrating one for her, as she could fully understand what was happening but nothing could be done to halt the process. She was very inspirational to me in that I try to make the most of life instead of moaning about the little aches and pains we all get from time to time.
Regarding insurance, you will probably find that once diagnosed as terminal, most insurances now pay out rather than waiting till the end.

Sorry to quote excessively, but the above was true. Total cognisance but no bodily control.
The most quoted " man in a wheel chair" did not have full MND as many think ( From MND sufferers saying or indicating this). Stephen Hawking had a milder form.

As for insurances, yes now they tend to be a little more understanding. After all we pay enough!!!

TY for your kind comments BTW

So are you expecting your children to pay for your funeral and also leave them nothing?
It is an expense, but one worthwhile.

Hopefully they get my house so there is my ins, i think.

ins is not the q??

No, it is not.
But an important consideration with this way of exiting life.

Which as you may have guessed, I agree you have the right of choice if deemed mentally able to choose.
If not then an agreed ( non profitable person) arbitrary to make the decision.

I don't think conny or I mentioned insurance.....I agree with you libby there are times when money just is not the issue in any way at all...would I allow someone I care for to suffer just to gain money .... no I wouldn't, and I don't think anyone would.
I would assume that if the law was changed regarding assisted suicide the payment of insurance conditions would be changed accordingly.
I am not sure what the existing rules are anyway.

I am not sure what the existing rules are anyway.

Do you mean the existing 'rules' about what doctors/relatives can and cannot legally do to help someone end their life?

Or the rules by which insurance companies operate? If the latter, then it's pretty simple : they operate along the line of greatest resistance. They are profit making organisations and will avoid paying out if they can.

Disappointing that this thread has disappeared up the rear end of a futile squabble about whether life insurance would pay out if assisted suicide were legalised. That is not the issue - it's a sideline.

Disappointing that this thread has disappeared up the rear end of a futile squabble about whether life insurance would pay out if assisted suicide were legalised. That is not the issue - it's a sideline.

I haven't really noticed that there is a futile squabble taking place by anyone ....as I just said:
"I agree with you libby there are times when money just is not the issue in any way at all...."
The question is that we don't allow humans the kindness that we allow to animals and surely that has to be questioned...when someone of a sound mind makes an educated decision to end a life that is intolerable why should they not be allowed to do so....we can only hope that in this case the high court rules in their favour and that eventually a change in the law is made.

I haven't really noticed that there is a futile squabble taking place by anyone ....as I just said:
"I agree with you libby there are times when money just is not the issue in any way at all...."
The question is that we don't allow humans the kindness that we allow to animals and surely that has to be questioned...when someone of a sound mind makes an educated decision to end a life that is intolerable why should they not be allowed to do so....we can only hope that in this case the high court rules in their favour and that eventually a change in the law is made.

The High Court is not empowered to change the law,only to apply it as it is now. All the judge can do is consider whether Tony is is the same position as a terminally-ill cancer sufferer whose doctor (quite legally) can prescribe a fatally large dose of morphine which is (in the eyes of the law at least) primarily palliative and only secondarily fatal. I doubt that that conclusion can be reached in this case, if only because Tony's suffering is mental not physical and doctors cannot end lives on the grounds of mental anguish.

If the law is to be changed, that is Parliament's job.

Sponsored Links
Back