The Weather

It's not the Gyroscopic effect of a spinning wheel that holds a bicycle or motorbike up. Which is angular momentum btw. I'm not denying the force exists, but it's not the force holding the bike up. If you removed the wheels and replaced them with skis the same would occur.

The bike is constantly falling over and as it does the wheels track in the direction of fall causing it to fall in the other directions. thus it stays up as long as it continues to move. It is for this reason that in order to steer a motorbike around a right hand corner, you first steer the handle bars to the left, to cause the bike to fall in to the turn.
Or you can just lean a bit with the handlebars straight and it'll turn. Then turn the bars to stop it falling over.
Try flying a helicopter, you analyse it all on paper then get in and it doesn't work. It has a mind of its own. Then one day you feel llike you can do precisely what you like with the thing, but you can't explain the difference.

Sponsored Links
Or you can just lean a bit with the handlebars straight and it'll turn. Then turn the bars to stop it falling over.
Try flying a helicopter, you analyse it all on paper then get in and it doesn't work. It has a mind of its own. Then one day you feel llike you can do precisely what you like with the thing, but you can't explain the difference.

I remember doing my motorcycle lessons and the instructor explaining that if you want to go right you turn the handlebars left. And vice versa. It is called counter steering. When he told me this I thought he was talking rubbish. But then I purposefully did it at speed (it happens above about 8mph I think), and he was absolutely right. By turning to the left, it induces a lean to the right, which causes the bike to go to the right.

At low speeds it works more intuitively. You steer in the direction you want the bike to go. It is all linked to gravity and physics. At low speed the 230kg bike wants to fall over and is harder to ride; at speed, it wants to stand up and you'd have a job making it fall over. Same principle with bicycles although I found it all the more obvious on a motorbike.

The climate models are fun. If you disturb the Great Gyre (sourced in Antarctic ocean currents) the models predict instability, with very hot, cold, wet and dry in unfamiliar places. Melt a bit of ice, the albido reduces, so more ice melts, etc, and it can't flip back. Heat the land a bit, the Walker cells in the upper atmosphere rotating the air in local loops, all move about, so whole regions change. ((CF el niño, la niña). Then they swing back and forth resonating over years but the animals can't adapt. Like some bastard has put chewing gum on the tip of a rotor blade. We're dooooomed.

I remember doing my motorcycle lessons and the instructor explaining that if you want to go right you turn the handlebars left. And vice versa. It is called counter steering. When he told me this I thought he was talking rubbish. But then I purposefully did it at speed (it happens above about 8mph I think), and he was absolutely right. By turning to the left, it induces a lean to the right, which causes the bike to go to the right.

At low speeds it works more intuitively. You steer in the direction you want the bike to go. It is all linked to gravity and physics. At low speed the 230kg bike wants to fall over and is harder to ride; at speed, it wants to stand up and you'd have a job making it fall over. Same principle with bicycles although I found it all the more obvious on a motorbike.
Yes of course you CAN do it that way. Like a rally car Scandinavian flick, only gentler. You don't have to, though.

Sponsored Links
The point being made is just wrong. There is a claim that there is someone on TV, every night, saying things are "hot" at the moment. That is sensationalist nonsense.

That is what is being done, and at every opportunity to mention weather and/or climate. Too hot due to climate change, too cold due to climate change, too wet, too dry. It is absolutely endless. The climate is changing, the climate has always changed, and it will continue to change - the difference now, is that they blame it on the CO2 we are generating.

That is what is being done
No, it demonstrably isn't. It has been said that every night we are told the weather is hot. That is wrong. Unless you have a link showing it? I linked to some forecasts, from today, that say it is colder than normal, climate change wasn't mentioned?
the difference now, is that they blame it on the CO2 we are generating.
"They"? You mean virtually all climate scientists? I know who I believe...

Last edited:
That is what is being done, and at every opportunity to mention weather and/or climate. Too hot due to climate change, too cold due to climate change, too wet, too dry. It is absolutely endless. The climate is changing, the climate has always changed, and it will continue to change - the difference now, is that they blame it on the CO2 we are generating.
why is it right wing supporters who voted for Brexit spout this climate change denier nonsense.

Harry is repeating the most tedious trope of all “weather has always changed”

Why do Brexit supporters deny climate change?
What is it about their character that allows them to be easily brainwashed

There are many occasions when the weather forecaster will also say that it's chilly or below average for this time of year. There seems to be a lot of confirmation bias in play with some.

The difference is the RATE of change

why is it right wing supporters who voted for Brexit spout this climate change denier nonsense.

Harry is repeating the most tedious trope of all “weather has always changed”

Why do Brexit supporters deny climate change?
What is it about their character that allows them to be easily brainwashed
Piffle. Might suit your stereotyping of anyone who has a different view from yours, but it's crap.

There are many occasions when the weather forecaster will also say that it's chilly or below average for this time of year. There seems to be a lot of confirmation bias in play with some.
The temperature is always above average or below average.
Unremarkable.

If the temperature is very far outside the normal RANGE for the time of year, also unremarkable, you can calculate how often you'd expect the deviation.

If the temperature range has shifted or widened unusually rapidly, that's much more significant.

Piffle. Might suit your stereotyping of anyone who has a different view from yours, but it's crap.
By and large. The same group, right wingers, are covid and vaccine deniers, brexit, climate change deniers, Boris and Trump supporting, slogan loving, headline lovers.

Not all, and not all things, but as a general grouping its accurate

Every slightly exceptional change in the weather, is blamed on man induced climate change.

There is standing water on my garden again, for the first time in five years. Must be due to climate change - I think not, rather we have had a lot of rain recently, which has meant the ground is already well soaked, and last night, exceptionally, we got 10mm.

Sponsored Links
Back