There is no earth in the lighting Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly. I have not had a really good look at this installation, but I will be going back.

A friend asked me to install an extra light in to her loft, no problem.

When I cam to connect the new cable to to ceiling rose I noticed the earth had been broken (turns out it had been cut off), so I naturally stripped it back and made a fresh connection.

I thought I would visually inspect the rest of the cable and connections, when I came to the switch I removed the cover and low and behold no earth! into or out of.

On I continued, the switch is fed from the switch on the landing, so cover off. No earth there either, I checked another still no earth.

I haven't yet examined the CU, she was in a rush. She has had an extension, about 3 years ago, so I would expect there is an earth in there, but the older part of the house has me worried.

The house I would put at about 50 years old.

Has anyone come across this before?, is there any reason this would be the case?

The back boxes are all metal the cabling does not appear to be T&E (except in the loft) but singles in appearance, on the lighting circuit it seems to be 2.5mm red and black insulation.

Any advice, I am very concerned for her as she is of an age now.

Her CU is new thou has been fitted in a vertical plain :rolleyes: .

I will go back an examine in more detail, and take a few pics, in the mean time any thoughts

Sponsored Links
Houses built in or before the 60s didn't have an earth on the lighting circuit. In which case you have to use Class II fittings, and the if the back boxes for the switches are metal you are supposed to use nylon screws.

Interesting, all the screws are metal!! How will i be able to tell if her fittings are class II? Is there a moark I need to look for, they appear very old fittings

Thanks

Class II fittings do not require an earth and are shown by a double square. I.e. one square inside another.

Sponsored Links
i thought that would be the reply, was that symbol in use that long ago?

So I should suggest to her that we at least replace the metal screws with nylon.

Thanks for all that guys

If its singles in metal conduit then maybe the conduit is being used as the cpc

the cable runs in metal conduit, but I cannot see any way that it is providing an earth, apart from the fact it is contained within the fabric of the building!!!

Is it me?

Depends how the conduit is installed, if it has a good sound connection with an earthed consumer unit etc at its origin and is continuous then it may indeed be used as a CPC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back