No earth connectivity on lights

I will donate £500 to a food bank of your choice if you can provide a link to the court documents where a householder was fined and jailed for failing to notify part p work. I'll give you a 20 year time frame in which to search. If you can't provide that evidence, you pay the same £500 to a food bank of my choosing.
Do you accept the challenge?
Now that really is silly.

Sponsored Links
do you accept the challenge?
There's no point, but you must agree that good advice is better than telling someone that its OK to ignore the rules.
By your attitude you would have been happy to tell that idiot he could ignore the rules before he ploughed into another car on the motorway and killed a woman?. He was doing 123mph and recording his progress on his phone at the same time.
Still OK to ignore the rules? What could possibly go wrong....

but the neutral for the RCD runs into N1. Is that normal?
No. It runs from N1.

1691232272065.png

OP - with your new cable, did you just use the CPC or connect the new cable and disconnect the old?

Sponsored Links
There's no point, but you must agree that good advice is better than telling someone that its OK to ignore the rules.
By your attitude you would have been happy to tell that idiot he could ignore the rules before he ploughed into another car on the motorway and killed a woman?. He was doing 123mph and recording his progress on his phone at the same time.
Still OK to ignore the rules? What could possibly go wrong....
That murdering bastard has a fairly long list of previous offences and warnings and only gets 12 years, probably out 6 with 8 more years of driving ban, what's the bet he will do it all again while he's banned.

Oh and another report says he wasn't insured to drive his dads car... If correct; should his dad be charged with aiding and abetting?

I will order a new busbar and move the MCB
Not necessary or desirable. A single extra socket does not need a new circuit.
Use one of the existing MCBs, such as the 10A, 20A or 32A at the left side.

The earth and neutral bars have numbers above them which correspond with the number of the circuit breakers.
Wires for each circuit go into the appropriately numbered position. Not shoved in randomly.

Yes of course!. That neutral IN to the top of the RCD is the supply. N1 is the neutral supply bar, it is fed from the main switch on the right.
The N2 bar is fed from the output (bottom) of the RCD.

That makes sense, thanks.

I guess I would have seen that if I had removed the busbar cover plate.

Not necessary or desirable. A single extra socket does not need a new circuit.
Use one of the existing MCBs, such as the 10A, 20A or 32A at the left side.

The earth and neutral bars have numbers above them which correspond with the number of the circuit breakers.
Wires for each circuit go into the appropriately numbered position. Not shoved in randomly.

Thanks, I was considering using the RCD protected 32A MCB but I got the impression that you aren't supposed to put three 2.5mm cables in the same MCB.

Thinking aloud, would it be acceptable to take one of the (RCD protected) ring T&Es and spur from inside the CU using 3 port Wagos?

I confess that I didn't know about the numbering, but I wouldn't have been able to use the correct ones anyway given that whoever fitted it seems to have used any old spot on the connector bars.

OP - with your new cable, did you just use the CPC or connect the new cable and disconnect the old?

Are we talking about the lighting CPC?

I left the old one as it was and added a new one.

I reasoned that given the light at the front of the house was already earthed, I would leave it alone and simply wanted to earth the lights at the back of the property using a new CPC from the CU.

simply wanted to earth the lights at the back of the property using a new CPC from the CU.
Did you achieve that by just connecting the new CPC to one of the lights or did you have to run it to all of them?

Did you achieve that by just connecting the new CPC to one of the lights or did you have to run it to all of them?

I ran it into the rose that previously had two CPCs. One of those CPCs runs back to the other light in the same room.

The two pendant lights after that point are now earthed and the light before that one is showing 240v at the double gang light switch.

I haven't tested the light in the cupboard under the stairs yet, but it is plastic and has a plastic switch.

This is quite confusing - but

can we therefore not assume that there is a break or disconnection in the CPC between the light that was still earthed and the rest of the lights?

Could you not find that break/disconnection?

I got the impression that you aren't supposed to put three 2.5mm cables in the same MCB.
There isn't any specific number, only that they must all be properly secured which becomes more difficult with more wires in there.

If 3 wires in there won't work, use the 20A next to it instead.

This is quite confusing - but

can we therefore not assume that there is a break or disconnection in the CPC between the light that was still earthed and the rest of the lights?

Could you not find that break/disconnection?

lighting.fw.png

Not the best of mock ups...

C1 showed good CPCs

I suspect that the problem is at B1, there is only one T&E running in to it (bar the switch cable).

I ran the CPC to A1. Since then I see 240v on A1, A2 and A3

Last edited:
There isn't any specific number, only that they must all be properly secured which becomes more difficult with more wires in there.

If 3 wires in there won't work, use the 20A next to it instead.

Thanks, I will try 3*2.5 in the 32A MCB.

Going back to @Taylortwocities point about notifiable circuits- If I put the 3 into the MCB, will it still be classed as a new circuit? Or will it be a spur?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back