thermal buffer store with a differance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I am going to install a new log bio boiler 40kw which needs an accumulator tank to run more efficient.
The thing is they are well & truly overpriced.
BUT i have got the chance to purchase an old lpg tank 2250 ltr. The tank is 3m long which means i cant stand it up on its end withought going through the roof.
All i want to know is some profesionals views on the idea of the tank sitting horizontaly.

Sponsored Links
The word "stop" came into my mind as soon as I read the words
log bio boiler.

If you are heating a normal house just put in
an oil or gas boiler.

No mess no fuss. No gigantic buffer tank insanity.

Don't think there would be any problem with using the
tank as a water storage tank. But will your house insurance
probably not if it ever leaked.

Burry it in the garden with loads of insulation around it.
Have a look on something like navitron web site as loads of nutters like you inventing stuff.

Sponsored Links
I'd focus on energy conservation rather than energy production.
The time and effort required to implement this system is very high and would be more beneficial if it were directed at reducing the building's energy requirements.

I'd imagine there is scope of reducing the heat load if the proposed capacity is 40kW. Its worth giving thought to the following areas:
These measures can cost big money but the pay back is much shorter than the proposed heating strategy. You will have a much more comfortable at the end of it all. :D

Fabric insulation:walls, roof & floor
Air tightness measures: follow on from air tihgtness test and thermal imaging.
Balanced vent with heat recovery
High efficiency boiler
Automatic heating controls package:full zoning, programmable room stats, radiator trvs and weather compensator.

I'd focus on energy conservation rather than energy production.
The time and effort required to implement this system is very high and would be more beneficial if it were directed at reducing the building's energy requirements.

I'd imagine there is scope of reducing the heat load if the proposed capacity is 40kW. Its worth giving thought to the following areas:
These measures can cost big money but the pay back is much shorter than the proposed heating strategy. You will have a much more comfortable at the end of it all. :D

Fabric insulation:walls, roof & floor
Air tightness measures: follow on from air tihgtness test and thermal imaging.
Balanced vent with heat recovery
High efficiency boiler
Automatic heating controls package:full zoning, programmable room stats, radiator trvs and weather compensator.

It is 2 old farm cottages made in to 1. Stone walls with lathin plaster walls on most of it. I belive in order to insulate the walls i would have to strip them back to stone wall frame them insulation then plasterboard
which would also reduce the size of the rooms & with 10 of them (not massive rooms ) 200m2 floor space going to cost a pretty penny recon i can install the compleat heating system for less than 6k includeing building a boiler room along the side of my workshop which i will also take a fan radiator in to
fire wood grows on trees where i live £12 ton delivered bulk at moment
Boiler comeing from poland eko Orlan 40 kw

40kw for two old cottages....???
No, 40 kW boiler, excess heat goes into the store.

If you get an accredited installer to carry out the installation, I believe you can claim the RHI payments. Have you checked that?

I'd ring a few companies that make tanks and ask them about the costs to fabricate one. You really need it vertical.

even if you didnt improve the building's heat retention, 40kW still seems high. your potential source of fuel is very affordable, but unless you plan to operate a year round B&B and jacuzzi, I think your overall ROI is not good let alone your carbon footprint. i doubt 6k factors in your time to forming the tappings on the cylinder and getting the insulation right, installation and commissioning time. in terms of operation costs, the standing losses on 2250lts will be very high and a horizontal accumulator could be very difficult to operate efficiently. maintenance costs/time will depend on the quality of your timber.

if the combined building's form and orientation are right, i would focus on modifying the structure to avail of solar radiation and natural daylight where possible.

with regard to improving the wall's insulation levels, there are two feasible options.
1. internal insulation on external walls only.

dry line with pre-insulated slab & mushroom nail or slab/insulation/batten arrangement. generally, 60-70 mm of Polyisocyanurate (polyiso or PIR) brings you very close to current building regs. In Ireland, grant support of up to 2k is available for this type of energy improvement measure.
-works well and cost effective if you qualify for grant support.
-very disruptive (depending on your programme) and minor loss of floor space.

2. external insulation
since you probably have no scaffolding costs, this could work out at a reasonable price. shop around as prices vary widely, at least over here.
-very effective and no disruption to any activities indoors.
-can be costly, labour intensive and additional supervision is recommended.

if you plan to spend alot of time in the workshop, consider a passive solar design by using roof windows on the southern aspect. this will minimise heating costs also provide task lighting at no additional cost. keylite provide very affordable roof light systems.
supplementary heating could be provided by the main central heating
and controlled via a zone valve and room thermostat. alternatively, you could consider a gas fired heater or standalone solid fuel stove with exposed flue.

some links on dry lining systems:

Quinn
http://www.quinn-therm.com/wallinsulation/masonry-laminate.cfm
Kingspan
http://www.kingspaninsulation.ie/Products/Therma/Therma-TW56/Overview.aspx
Extratherm
http://www.xtratherm.com/products/thinrthermallinermf.php

40kw for two old cottages....???
No, 40 kW boiler, excess heat goes into the store.

If you get an accredited installer to carry out the installation, I believe you can claim the RHI payments. Have you checked that?

I'd ring a few companies that make tanks and ask them about the costs to fabricate one. You really need it vertical.

RHI payments only pay out £950 can buy the same boiler from poland for about £2k less than here so makes a fool of the grant scheme

Also found 2 x 1000 ltr tanks with insulation jacket for around £800 from same supplier

We stayed in a cottage last year on holiday in Devon, he had a water source heat pump.

The heat exchanger was in the stream running past the cottage..!

I asked him if he minded showing me how it all worked, he done it all himself.

Worked very well.

We stayed in a cottage last year on holiday in Devon, he had a water source heat pump.

The heat exchanger was in the stream running past the cottage..!

I asked him if he minded showing me how it all worked, he done it all himself.

Worked very well.

Thats interesting xr4x4, how did it work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back