thermal building regs for tri-fold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am building a rear single storey extension to form a kitchen and seperate dining room.
My wife wants full length tri-fold doors in each room but i am not sure what the regulations are for thermal retention (are there any)?.
Can i buy from places like B&Q and be sure that the double glazed units meet the thermal "U" value?

Can anyone make it clear to a simpleton. :p

Sponsored Links
There are most definitely regulations for thermal retention for windows.

Provided when you buy your chosen doors/windows you have something that states the U value is no worse than 1.8W/m2K they should be accepted by Building Control.

However if the total area of glazing/doors to your new extension is in excess of 25% of the floor area of the extension you may need to get SAP calcs produced.

If you're doing this on a Notice you are advised to familiarise yourself with the Building Regulations. :idea:

hi

Wickes are currently doing 15% off all folding slidding doors and they are Part L compliant.

Better hurry the deal ends tomorrow (according to their website)

Joe

There are most definitely regulations for thermal retention for windows.

...you are advised to familiarise yourself with the Building Regulations. :idea:

Freddy, in my experience (last Sunday morning) that is never a good idea. :evil:

i've decided to let the professional deal with the regs

: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Freddy said to "familiarise" yourselves with them... not to completely understand, interpret and implement them.

New part L out later this year and looks like u-value requirements for all elements are to be hiked up by around 25% :eek: :eek:

Along with new parts F and J, have you had any dealings with new part G water efficiency yet FMT !!!! What a nightmare :rolleyes:
Oh back on topic , watch some of the sheds products they sometimes can be deceiving, a favorite one at one time was selling upvc windows/patio doors without trickle vents fitted which caused lots of DIY window fit problems.

Oh it's great fun... isn't it... not. Us designers have to get to grips with the revisions, etc... but Building Control have more to check/approve AND nobody gets paid anymore for doing it :LOL:

I would imagine that the relationship betwixt a designer/architect/techy and building regulations, is pretty dynamic to say the least!

Being a builder is no easier believe me!

But a builder will only go with what's drawn/specified ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back