Thermostatic mixer - renter's hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new here, but could use some advice.

Summary: can I somehow plug the feed pipes to this inset mixer without too much bother, damage?

note: the plastic bits are my improvised drain (see text below)

We rent our flat (in Paris), and the shower thermostatic mixer began leaking badly. The rental agency sent a plumber round, who said "O lo lo" (French equivalent of sucking teeth) and then went off.

This was two weeks back.

I can only contact him via the rental agency who inform me that he needs a very rare part. Which I assume is the cartridge.

I was left to turn off the hot water to the bathroom and jury-rig a drain so the leaking cold water didn't work its way through the tiled recess and into the wall.

My idea for a temporary fix is the following:
1- remove the cover
2- disconnect the feed pipes
3- get plug nuts to fit
4- turn back on the water wo that we can at leas use the rest of the bathroom while we wait.

Questions:
1- Is this a do-able short-term solution?
2- If so, how do I access the feed pipes (i.e. remove the cover)?

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't touch a thing. If it all goes wrong then you will get the blame - and the bill.

Pester the agency - that's what you pay rent for. Point out that the landlord might not be too happy if his flat flood due to their lack of response. Make sure you have it in writing that you have notified them too.

Don't know much about French plumbing but are there any isolation valves under the bath that you can turn off?

@Squeaky- sadly, no isolation valves

@kbdiy - excellent advice (not to touch it). The plumber appeared out of nowhere this morning and removed the casing to get a better idea of the problem.

Absolutely nowhere to remove the feeds. If he cannot find a replacement cartridge - there will be some major work needed.

Sponsored Links
If you are in Paris then why do you put your location as if London?

The problem you have seems pretty similar to those of tenants in London getting repairs done.

Tony

Perhaps you need a good plombier?

Remove the old valve, pack the hole with camembert and replace. Should do the trick :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back